Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Incoming email being rejected...

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi delwynh 

Based on your email header detail, yes I suspect Ionos are using an out of date DNS lookup. The routeing of the mail message seems to be the most likely reason for the unusual bounceback error. 

If you use MX toolbox to look up the MX record for dsl.pipex.com you'll see what I mean.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant

@Gondola wrote:

Based on your email header detail, yes I suspect Ionos are using an out of date DNS lookup.

The headers I posted were just a comparison between the headers on messages successfully received prior to and after 6th Jan to show that the pipex MX record appears to have changed around that time - neither of these headers were from Ionos senders.

If you still think this is the problem, how can we prove or resolve it?

Highlighted
Community Star

...send a mail message from another mail service provider. See what header that produces. But you're saying that the detail you gave before wasn't from Ionos mail...so another red herring / wild goose chase...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a pipex domain mailbox to test myself.

Highlighted
Participant

All I can say is that received headers prior to 6th Jan were identical for Ionos and non-Ionos senders.  After 6th Jan the first hop inside talktalk is now mx.talktalk.net.  Since that date I can't receive any email from Ionos senders, so I have no headers to go on!

Highlighted
Community Star

...you said it was talktalk but showed the helo command as responded to by the MX tiscali server in each case:

Received: from mk-inbound-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com ([212.139.137.161] helo=cmin1mk)
by mk-delivery-1.b2b.uk.tiscali.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <redacted>)

Example headers from before 6th Jan:

Received: from mk-inbound-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com ([212.139.137.162] helo=cmin2mk)
by mk-delivery-4.b2b.uk.tiscali.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)

Is that still what happens now?  When I look at a check it's the cm8nec mx.talktalk.net ESMTP server responding.

Highlighted
Participant

When I say talktalk, I mean any of the talktalk owned entities including pipex and tiscali.

Before 6th Jan the first talktalk server is cmsmtp, after 6th Jan it is mx.talktalk.net which forwards onto cmsmtp.  I have highlighted the change in bold.  Thereafter they are the same, excepting the exact mk-inbound and mk-delivery servers which have always varied.  The headers should of course be read from the bottom up.

Before 6th Jan:

Received: from mk-inbound-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com ([212.139.137.162] helo=cmin2mk)
by mk-delivery-4.b2b.uk.tiscali.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
id 1inSKE-000G7c-JN
for redacted@dsl.pipex.com; Fri, 03 Jan 2020 19:09:34 +0000
Received: from <redacted> ([xx.xx.xx.xx])
by cmsmtp with SMTP
id nSKEiHExVynTBnSKEiyYsg; Fri, 03 Jan 2020 19:09:34 +0000

After 6th Jan:

Received: from mk-inbound-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com ([212.139.137.161] helo=cmin1mk)
by mk-delivery-1.b2b.uk.tiscali.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
id 1itryt-0005XC-DA
for redacted@dsl.pipex.com; Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:46:03 +0000
Received: from cm9gb1 ([62.24.139.126])
by cmsmtp with SMTP
id trvfimenBt1cLtryhiKAdM; Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:45:51 +0000
Received: from <redacted> ([xx.xx.xx.xx])
by mx.talktalk.net with SMTP
id trygiYr1nd6fPtrygilvjg; Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:45:51 +0000

Highlighted
Community Star

...yes read the headers from the bottom up for each Received From: instance.

The talktalk.net server is cm9gb1 which is one of the talktalk servers and exactly what I'd expect from the current MX lookup for dsl.pipex.com. 

The talktalk.net server seems to be transferring the message to the tiscali MX server for reply to the message session and delivery to the pipex mailbox. 

My take on all this is it's to make sure when the pipex mailboxes are 'switched' on the new platform that there is no DNS propagation delay problem.  The talktalk.net server will deliver all mail without fail to the mailbox on the Open-Xchange platform.  i.e. there'll be no mail delivered to the old pipex mailbox because adequate time will have been allowed for all DNS's to be updated.

Highlighted
Participant

Gondola, thanks for your replies.  I'm sure you are correct that the changeover to use mx.talktalk.net as the MX for dsl.pipex.com is in preparation for the migration of the pipex mailboxes to the new platform.

Moreover it seems fairly clear that the problem both myself and the OP are experiencing with Ionos/1and1 senders is associated with this change.

However, it doesn't get us any closer to figuring out why messages from these senders are being rejected.  Someone needs to examine the SMTP logs on the talktalk server.

Highlighted
Team Player
Any further news on a solution to this problem, 3 working days have elapsed?
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi teapot, it's not yet been picked up by the email team. I've sent a chaser for you.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Here's a message as seen by someone who sent a mail to my wife and had it bounced.

[Email addresses edited to protect the innocent.  The original email address was correct]

From: Microsoft Outlook [mailto:MicrosoftExchange329e71ecxxxxxxxxxxxx41109e@TH2.onmicrosoft.com]
Sent: 23 January 2020 16:32
To: Orig Sender
Subject: Undeliverable: RE: Evaluation

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

'My Wife'
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

The following organization rejected your message: cm7nec.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: CWLP123MB1971.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

my.wife@dsl.pipex.com
cm7nec #<cm7nec #5.1.1 smtp;550 5.1.1 ufOeiYaZVQiTy Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)> #SMTP#

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

...and cm7nec would appear to be cm7nec.talktalk.com, given:

[parent]: host cm7nec.talktalk.com 79.79.79.78
Using domain server:
Name: 79.79.79.78
Address: 79.79.79.78#53
Aliases:

cm7nec.talktalk.com has address 62.24.138.17
cm7nec.talktalk.com has address 62.24.151.225
Host cm7nec.talktalk.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

although it is worrying that the DNS servers do occasionally return that NXDOMAIN error...

Highlighted
Team Player

Any news please?

Highlighted

Hi Teapot, I've sent a chaser as there's been no update on the ticket yet. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Participant

@OCE_Ady  has the additional information I provided on this issue been passed on to the team?

That is, it started on Jan 6th or 7th when talktalk seems to have made some change to the incoming mail routing for the dsl.pipex.com domain, and for both myself and the OP the messages being rejected are from Ionos/1and1 senders.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@delwynh wrote:

@OCE_Ady  has the additional information I provided on this issue been passed on to the team?

That is, it started on Jan 6th or 7th when talktalk seems to have made some change to the incoming mail routing for the dsl.pipex.com domain, and for both myself and the OP the messages being rejected are from Ionos/1and1 senders.

Ah. So this thread isn't about the (all to frequent now) issues of the mail service becoming unusable for a few hours at a time?

I (well,my wife...) has a problem trying to mail a 1and1 address (and address whose MX record points at mx00.1and1.co.uk and mx01.1and1.co.uk). This is a permanent problem. They can't ever mail her and she can't ever mail therm.

Here's a recent bounced message when I was testing:

====================

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 0 second(s):

* xxx@nillcottage.co.uk

Reason: The following message to xxx@nillcottage.co.uk was undeliverable.The reason for the problem: 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

--------------------
Reporting-MTA: dns; cmout2mk [212.74.114.24]
Received-From-MTA: dns; benuc.lacknet [92.0.128.161]
Arrival-Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:37:07 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@nillcottage.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Last-attempt-Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:37:07 +0000

====================

(mail addresses edited).

Note that this message was actually sent at 21:08:21 - the clock on cmout2mk is ~30 mins slow (which no-one seems to care about).

Highlighted

Hi delwynh, they won't investigate each example without the mail header sending and receiving mail address and the bounce message. If you haven't already send the information to me via personal message.

Ady

Community Star

Hi gmlack 

@gmlack wrote:...

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@nillcottage.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Last-attempt-Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:37:07 +0000

The bounce message is valid. The mailbox does not exist. The domain nillcottage.co.uk does not exist.

Perhaps try millcottage.co.uk

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Gondola wrote:

The bounce message is valid. The mailbox does not exist. The domain nillcottage.co.uk does not exist.

Perhaps try millcottage.co.uk

As I said in the original post - the email addresses were edited. The real one is valid (and used to work).

Highlighted
Community Star

...why would you change a domain name to prevent any useful tests being done?