Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Mailbox account inaccessible.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

For some weeks now my mobile phone has said that one of my mailbox account passwords had been changed.

I know this was not the case but however tried to reset the password on the Manage Email page.

All I repeatedly get is Sorry, the password could not be updated. Please try again.

Since the password reset goes back to the same account which I cannot access how do I get back into the mailbox.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Rodger1 

I'll look at this in steps to try and clarify what to do.

@Rodger1 wrote:...For some weeks now my mobile phone has said that one of my mailbox account passwords had been changed.  I know this was not the case...

To troubleshoot and check a mailbox is working the best way is to sign in to TalkTalk Mail which I guess you did using the known password.  The same password will also work with other devices. 

If it's just that email isn't working on one device it's likely that the app on the mobile 'phone or the password is corrupted and the fix is to either switch the 'phone off and on or to remove the mail account and set it up afresh and this will usually restore normal operation.  The email settings - IMAP or POP3 should help you set up the app correctly.  But you will need the correct working password.

@Rodger1 wrote: ...tried to reset the password on the Manage Email page.  All I repeatedly get is Sorry, the password could not be updated. Please try again.

The issue of not being able to change a password in MyAccount is something I thought TalkTalk had fixed.  We'll refer this back to the TalkTalk team - but heads-up that if the mailbox has been locked because of suspicious activity it may not take a password change via MyAccount until the mailbox is unlocked.

@Rodger1 wrote: ...Since the password reset goes back to the same account which I cannot access how do I get back into the mailbox.

When TalkTalk upgraded email accounts to TalkTalk Mail there were reminders to customers in the advance email briefings and in the introduction to set up Reset details to add an alternative email address and a mobile 'phone number to give options for mailbox password recovery. 

When you sign in to TalkTalk Mail you'll find Update reset details is an option on the main menu (triple line icon or cog icon - mobile browser version - on the header).

Given that you didn't change the password and haven't been able to change the password the key question is does the last password you know was working get you signed in to TalkTalk Mail or not?  Let us know if there's a sign in error message. 

If the known password does get you signed in then you now know how to set up Reset details to give you password change options.

If it does not and the email system has detected a weak password or a compromised email account, and changed the password or locked the account to help secure customer data, you will need help to recover access.

As the self-help password change / recovery options aren't effective for you I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team as a precautionary action.

In the meantime, please double check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, current TalkTalk contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Rodger1, has Gondola got you sorted?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

Sorry to say no.

None of the suggestions worked and my mobile, since I deleted the address,will not accept the address at all saying either the password or email address or POP3 or IMAP are wrong or not recognised.

I still cant reset the password on the Manage Mail page so unfortunately I am no further forward.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Rodger1 

Normally, you'd have set up Reset details for both a mobile 'phone and an alternative email password reset: i.e. a reset sent by...

• An SMS text to a mobile number
  • An email link sent to an alternative email address

If you tried the Reset your Password option, and there wasn't the alternate email address shown the team will have to set that up for you - but if there was, ensure that you recognise the email address from the hint - so long as you have access to that email mailbox, then please send the reset link by email selecting the alternate email option. (the image shows the reset to the account itself - only good if you have access to the mailbox)

Reset your password 2 - select how to send reset.png

Reset your password 3 - Email Reset Link.png

For a reset link sent to an alternate email address you should get a confirmation message, as above, to let you know the reset link has been sent.

As I mentioned above, if the self-help password change / recovery options aren't effective for you, the TalkTalk Community team will add an alternate mobile 'phone number and an alternate email address to the Reset details so you do have the password reset options.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Rodger1, I've sent you a personal message to obtain the necessary information to raise the fault ticket for you.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.