would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pipex Email Undeliverable (TT512)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi all—

I am trying to send an email to someone with a [name]@dial.pipex.com, and getting the following error:

The response from the remote server was:
550 5.1.1 gfijgCW1pfMNG Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; [MYNAME]@gmail.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 16:58:10 -0800 (PST)
X-Original-Message-ID: <0D5C5A7F-55D5-41DE-8D34-2F828E34EC91@gmail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [RECIPIENTNAME]@dial.pipex.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mk-inbound-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com. (212.139.137.161, the
server for the domain dial.pipex.com.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 gfijgCW1pfMNG Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 16:58:19 -0800 (PST)

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @handiworkbounding

That's a permanent fail.  The mailbox is unavailable.  Possible reasons include: Wrong address, Mailbox locked or Mailbox full. 

Are you able to contact the recipient another way to ask them to check the mailbox status?

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the pipex email address to Private notes with a note saying that you're trying to send to that email address and its undeliverable. Save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to check if the mailbox exists. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer
6wVAhyvjdBvaR Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)

I have a tiscali.co.uk email address. I am the admin on a website, which occasionally sends automated
emails to me for info. Today I received several emails to my tiscali address advising me that emails
sent to that same address were being rejected with Recipient Undeliverable!
That simply does not make any sense to me. The answer to a previous poster said it was a permanent
fail, but in my case it cannot be.

Community Star

Hi @RobbieL 

The error code 550 5.1.1 is a permanent fail. For example, the mailbox address does not exist.

You've not given a similar code but TT512 is a recipient undeliverable code that is used for permanent fails that includes things like non-existent mailbox, locked or suspended mailbox, full mailbox and is also used when the recipient address is rejecting the incoming emails as spam. Often spam is rejected using a recipient undeliverable code so as not to openly alert a spammer to a valid address.

Your website is (hopefully) not sending out spam. Check for filters rejecting the sender's address. Presumably the automated emails are from a slightly different email address than the notifications?

Highlighted
First Timer

My website has NEVER sent spam. The emails it sends are to inform those users who opted in to be informed of certain events. I have no filters if any kind.

Email from my website and my hosting company will indeed have separate addresses.

Rejecting incoming email is therefore an issue for TalkTalk.....

Please do not patronise me with nonsense... I have been in IT professionally since 1966. It is clear that I receive some mail (from the hosting company and many others) but I do NOT receive email from my own website, which indicates to me that YOUR filters are not only getting it wrong, but are incapable of identifying spam.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @RobbieL 

Now we're getting to the reality and possibly why you've omitted to give the full error code.

Spam filters are triggered by recipients that mark your website emails as spam. You say everyone is opted in but are they?  When did you last check?  People do take the easy option and if they consider they don't want your stuff and nonsense any more they'll mark your emails as spam. Simple as that.

You'll need to provide the website and the full header of the bounceback email for investigation.

The OCE's will call for that by Private Message and pass to the email team for investigation.