Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problems reporting fake emails to PayPal

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I sometimes receive phishing emails claiming to be from PayPal and I forward these to spoof@paypal.com

One I reported this morning has come back with an error message:-

"Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 1 second(s):

Reason: The following message to spoof@paypal.com was undeliverable.The reason for the problem:  554-mx2.paypalcorp.com"

Is this aTalkTalk problem or a PayPal problem?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jmurphy, I've not heard anything on this before. What have paypal said?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Nothing yet, I am awaiting their response
Highlighted

Please let us know when you hear back from them. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
They did not respond so I contacted them via their live chat. They said the bounce back had happened because I sent it to @paypal.com, the American site, and I should have sent to @paypal.co.uk. All sounds a bit fishy, I have always sent to the .com address and had no problems before. I'll see what happens when I receive another suspect email, I'm sure it won't be long!
Highlighted

Hi jmurphy,

Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Solution
Well, as predicted, I received another dodgy email purporting to come from PayPal. I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and, as far as I know, it was received there. So, whatever was happening with spoof@patpay.com appears to have been resolved by using the....co.uk address.
Highlighted

Hi jmurphy, that's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I spoke too soon! Today I received two fake emails purporting to come from PayPal. I forwared them on to spoof@paypal.co.uk and they both bounced back.
The bounce-back message said :-
" This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 1 second(s):
* spoof@paypal.co.uk
Reason: The following message to spoof@paypal.co.uk was undeliverable.The reason for the problem: 554-mx2.paypalcorp.com"

Any thoughts?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I contacted PayPal and they said to clear my cache and cookies and try again. Fair enough, I'll give it a go but I had already deleted the dodgy emails so I'll have to wait until I get another one.
Highlighted

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I cleared my cache and ccokies. Later I received another dodgy email and forwarded it to PayPal. So far so good, no bounce back.
Highlighted

That's great stuff. Thanks for keeping us updated.