cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Reset tiscali password as being hacked

7 REPLIES 7
Popular Poster

I want to reset my old tiscali password but can’t see how in the app.  My Instagram was being hacked and today they reset a password and ordered items on one of my other accounts but the change of password needed email verification and somehow they did this.

Community Star

Hi @tkl1970 

If you're a TalkTalk customer or recent customer you should be able to change your email password in MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail, if the email is listed in one of the 5 email address slots. 

As a user of TalkTalk Mail you'll have been prompted to set up Reset details to use the Forgot my password option to recover access to your mailbox should the system reset the password for security or should you forget the password.  But maybe you've not set up Reset details with an alternate email address or mobile number to receive a reset code?

If you can still sign in to TalkTalk Mail then Update your reset details is an option on the main menu (triple line icon or cog icon on the mobile version).

If the self-help password change / recovery options aren't effective let me know and I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and Save changes.

If you're not a TalkTalk customer a TalkTalk OCE will send you a Private Message requesting personal data to verify you as the registered email user (your email registration details)

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number and Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered
  • Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and (optionally) your mobile contact number for the team to set up Reset details for you so you can reset and choose your own password.

When your personal data has been verified, the Reset details will be set up and a team member will call on your mobile to check security with you, let you know you can set your own password and check it works.

There's some good advice on choosing a secure password at getsafeonline.org

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster
Hi, I emailed. I have managed to change my password but I would like talk talk to know they enabled my account to be hacked and therefore people accessed my accounts. How do I report this and report the data breach?
Community Star

Hi tkl1970 

The TalkTalk team here can report the hacking of your tiscali email account to TalkTalk's security team.  But you'll first need to update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Add, then scroll down to Private notes and add the tiscali email address and save changes.

It would be useful if you let us know which method you used to change the tiscali email password.

Was the original password easily guessed or used elsewhere?

You may be able to find out if your email address is known to be compromised in a data breach by checking with haveibeenpwned. Let us know what you find.

Popular Poster
Thank you, all updated. It wasn’t a password used elsewhere and either they accessed by gaining data via tiscali or instagram as persistent changing of password in Insta but emails were accessed and removed on my tiscali. I have some info I can send if you contact me privately.
Community Star

Hi

I'll leave any Private Messaging of personal data strictly to the TalkTalk OCE team and or their security team if that's ok.  But any evidence you have will be helpful.

Popular Poster
Thank you, please ask them to contact me
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi tkl1970,

I'm sorry to hear that your email account has been hacked, I've PM'd you requesting a bit more information 

Thanks

Chris

This widget could not be displayed.