cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Cannot send emails via thunderbird

veryoldgit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hello!

I am in a mess!

I am 70+ and don't understand computer speak e.g. SMTP etc...

All was well until two days ago, when I suddenly couldn't send emails (receive is okay).

I have, I think, changed the settings to new ones but get this message:

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Zow0pxbPHFLnq MailFrom must match AUTH used (TT421). Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

I don't understand any of it!! I did get a pop-up asking for my password, this was rejected.

I send and receive emails through, what I believe is, my own .co.uk domain from talktalk using Thunderbird.

My wife's email is having the same issue, but I've not altered anything yet as I don't wish to possibly foul up twice!!

I can't seem to find out how to change the password in the talktalk account settings, either.

I do hope A kind person can sort me out. If you think you can please write in plain English as I am not computer-literate - thank you

21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Many users ignored several previous notifications to use secure mail thinking it didn't apply to them. Which is why TalkTalk has taken this action of last resort to withdraw insecure connections that are still in use by unchanged email software.

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming POP3 mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready. Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full TalkTalk email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  POP3 secure Email Account
User Name Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 22

Hi!

I understand the essence of your explanation for why TalTalk have withdrawn the facility to send emails from our computers, but after 10's of years of use to suddenly have it stop is a shock. We did get some warning in October last year about needing to change various numbers, when that was done it locked us out altogether, so we reverted to existing setup, and all was well until this week.

We both have several emails from our domain that we use for separating online purchases from friends etc.. They download to our respective computers, making life (up to now!) simple, and just hitting the 'Reply' button is a simple action.

All incoming messages are downloaded from TalkTalk, so there is nothing left there. Thunderbird saves it on our computers.

We both have a 'sign in' to TalkTalk site with separate TalkTalk email addresses and passwords.

I'm guessing that your reference to outgoing personal domain email at the end of your posting means we are at square one with respect to sending emails from our @(domain name).co.uk?

I would like very much to check that Thunderbird settings are correct and hope that the outgoing will work. As far as I can tell, incoming is mercifully working fine...

C

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Sending personal domain emails using the TalkTalk servers has never been a "service" offered by TalkTalk.  TalkTalk does not authenticate emails sent by personal domain users. The reason for blocking unauthenticated email usage is simply because of the abuse of the TalkTalk mail servers by the likes of spammers. It's not your fault but TalkTalk has to stop these freeloaders abusing the TalkTalk servers to send spam etc.

You can use TalkTalk Mail via webmail. All you need is the TalkTalk email address and TalkTalk password.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

Do you get signed in and can you Compose and send mail messages? You'll see incoming mail in the Inbox so long as you haven't set up an Auto forward, or collecting mail via a POP3 email account, that deletes mail from the Inbox after forwarding or collecting.

All TalkTalk mail using email software like Thunderbird must be encrypted using TLS 1.2 encryption security (SSL/TLS incoming and STARTTLS outgoing) and sent as authenticated mail using the Email address as User Name and the Email password. I've given you the settings to use for receiving and sending TalkTalk Mail. 

Do you wish to proceed to check the set up of Thunderbird for TalkTalk Mail incoming and outgoing mail? It's not possible to set it up for outgoing personal domain email.

Message 4 of 22

Afternoon!

I have spent most of the day and still failed!

I sit here failing to see why TalkTalk has removed this service from us.

Am I the only soul that is left in the lurch?

I am not only unable to send emails via Thunderbird through TalkTalk but unable to configure Fasthosts to pass outgoing emails through them. I get a screen message saying Server is disconnected or may have gone down etc...

I very much appreciate your patience, understanding and efforts. I have no idea what to do at this time and may have to resort to replying to emails via semaphore....

I'm very, very cross with TalkTalk.

Very best regards

Col

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

You are patient, thanks!

I believe these are the 'numbers' you gave earlier, so I obviously messed up using them. I have to wait until tomorrow for more time, so I will start afresh then.

I have not been trying random settings, but the passwords are an issue for reasons I won't bore you with - logging into Fasthosts is a great idea as that should resolve one of the password issues.

Regards, until tomorrow...

Message 6 of 22

OK so receiving your domain emails via the TalkTalk Mail email account is because you're forwarding those to TalkTalk from your personal domain mailbox at Fasthosts.

As I advised, you need to set up a completely separate email account for your personal domain email address. The personal domain email account will collect your mail from the Fasthosts server so you no longer need to forward that mail to the TalkTalk email address.

For the Server Settings

• Server name: mail.livemail.co.uk
  • Port: 995 for POP3
  • Username (full personal domain email address)
  • Authentication method: Normal Password
  • Connection security: SSL/TLS

For the Outgoing SMTP Server

• Server name: smtp.livemail.co.uk
  • Port: 465

Please do not try random settings or passwords. Sign in to your account at Fasthosts to obtain the personal domain email password.

If you need help then go to Fasthosts Customer Support

Message 7 of 22

Hi!

I've tried my best to complete the 5 minute task, that Thunderbird reckons it takes to create an account - all my attempts end with Thunderbird telling me it can't find the server!.

I only access my emails from my computer, so have tried both POP3 and IMAP. Both attempts with various settings/password/usernames have ended in disaster.

Although I make the new attempted setup 'Default' Thunderbird seems to go to TalkTalk to send.

Receiving my domain emails via TalkTalk server is still happening, which is useful but still not being able to send is going to become an issue. I don't want to delete TalkTalk account settings until I have the 'send' sorted. Is there something else I can try please?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

I'm pleased that you've woken up with a cheery smile! At least that's what it feels like.

OK, so POP3 is an email account that downloads mail messages from the online server Inbox. The POP3 email account can download and then delete messages from the online Inbox or be set to leave messages on the server. It was designed for online Inboxes that had limited storage. Management of mail messages is usually only on the device that has the POP3 email account. Sent mail messages will be only on the device that has the POP3 email account. Those sent messages are not on the server. 

IMAP is an email account that has online mailbox mail folders to manage mail messages. The IMAP email account will download and have a view on all the online mail folders that will be synchronised between the IMAP device(s) and the online folders. For example, Sent messages will be synchronised so will be seen on the device sending and in the Sent objects folder online. This type of email account is useful when users connect multiple devices to the mailbox.

It's entirely up to you what type of email account you wish to use.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Morning!

I've managed a restless night and ready for the next baton exchange!

Your last posting has confused me - I have no idea what the difference is between POP3 and IMAP or in deed what either of them actually is and which is best for me! I get the impression you are not keen on POP3, is that right?

I have looked back through your kind postings to me and spotted the link for Fasthosts setup. I missed it yesterday due to my tiredness - I'm going to have a read now (hope it's not full of 'techno speak'), if I find it so, you'll be the first to know, lucky you!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

veryoldgit wrote:...You unfortunately misread where my domain is lodged - it is with Fasthost not Fastnet!

I don't believe I did. Your domain is with Fasthosts NOT with Fasthost nor Fastnet

veryoldgit wrote:...in message 7 "We don't use any TalkTalk email addresses for 'normal communications."
Yes, TalkTalk email account is used for forwarding as well as receiving. I'm sorry, I thought I'd explained that but clearly didn't, so sorry!

On to the setting up of email accounts:

In the first part of message 11 in this topic I gave you the Thunderbird settings for TalkTalk Mail POP3 mail accounts.

In the second part of message 11 in this topic I gave you the Thunderbird settings for Fasthosts POP3 mail accounts for your blahblah and blerbler email accounts. You'll therefore need two separate Fasthosts accounts set up, one for blahblah and one for blerbler!

Also, I linked you to the Fasthosts guide to set up Thunderbird (IMAP) email accounts.

You confirmed in post 9 that you are using POP3 mail accounts. But if you wish to set up an IMAP email account this needs to replace a POP3 email account and the only difference is the incoming port number. 993 for IMAP secure or 995 for POP3 secure. Remember when setting up an email account from scratch you need to select either IMAP or POP3 protocol. 

I am trying to make sure that you are not confused but I fear you're not quite grasping that baton in this relay race!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi!

Sorry for delay, I fell asleep and will have to go to bed soon.

You unfortunately misread where my domain is lodged - it is with Fasthost not Fastnet! I assume that could mean the numbers are wrong that I punched in?

Yes, TalkTalk email account is used for forwarding as well as receiving. I'm sorry, I thought I'd explained that but clearly didn't, so sorry!

Do you know the set-up I need for Fasthost?

I think I understand the principle of what you wish me to carry out, and I assume I'll need to do the same for my wife's computer too? She has her email accounts through our domain eg I have blarblar@(domain name, she has blerbberb@(same domain name).

How do I keep this link open overnight so I can continue tomorrow, if you are happy to continue to help?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

I thought you said you didn't use a TalkTalk Mail email account but it seems that the account in Thunderbird is set up for a TalkTalk email address. I presume you are therefore forwarding your Fastnet personal domain mail to the TalkTalk email address? 

So, that email account in Thunderbird needs to be set up correctly for the TalkTalk email address. You can only receive mail for the TalkTalk email address and send mail for the TalkTalk email address because the TalkTalk User Name (full email address) and password must be identical for the incoming and outgoing mail servers.

For the Server Settings

• Server name: mail.talktalk.net
  • Username (full TalkTalk email address)

• Server name: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Port: 587
  • Username (full TalkTalk email address)
  • Connection security: STARTTLS

And then you need to set up a completely separate email account for your personal domain email address. The personal domain email account will collect your mail from the Fasthosts server so you no longer need to forward that mail to the TalkTalk email address.

For the Server Settings

You'll need the password for your personal domain email address. A setup guide is included below.

Setup Fasthosts Email in Thunderbird

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Although I have set the smtp.livemail.co.uk as 'default', when I try to send I'm asked for TalkTalk password!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Firstly, thanks for hanging in there with me!

Incoming mail settings are:

POP
PORT 995
SSL/TLS
NORMAL PASSWORD

So, still have an issue with Outgoing mail. When I try sending mail, Thunderbird asks for TalkTalk password, which I guess it shouldn't do if the numbers you gave me for Fast hosts have been put in correctly. When I get Thunderbird to ask me for Fasthost password, I only have 2 to try! The secret is obviously to get Thunderbird to direct itself to Fasthosts! Once I (we!!) get that far, I assume I only have to do the same for my wife's computer for her emails?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Ah, I was going to give you the setup for TalkTalk Mail accounts on Thunderbird but if you don't use TalkTalk email accounts we're just talking then about your personal domain email address hosted by Fasthosts.

So, what settings are you using for incoming mail? If your personal domain mails download fine then it's up to you whether you have set up secure mail or still working with insecure mail settings.

The outgoing mail password will be asked for by Thunderbird when you send mail. Just remember to tick the Remember password button first, then enter the password.

Message 16 of 22

Sorry - lost already!

I'll try and clarify my messed up mind  (I've been up since 5:30 this morning worrying about this, so a little tired)

I know you'll sort this for me, and I thank you for your patience.

As all my emails download fine, do I need to alter the Thunderbird settings for Incoming?

I have added the Outgoing figures etc you kindly gave me into a new 'Default' outgoing identity, but could find no place to put a password...

We don't use any TalkTalk email addresses for 'normal communications.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Port 25 is an old insecure way of sending mail from your email software to the outgoing mail server at TalkTalk. No you don't carry on. You update your email settings to use secure mail settings as notified by TalkTalk for TalkTalk Mail email addresses.

For your personal domain email address you enter the settings I gave into the Thunderbird email account for your Fasthosts domain account.

Message 18 of 22

Thank you for your quick response - I'm confused already, sorry!

i) If I block port 25 does that mean I can carry on as before or does the blocking just make 'things more secure? If I need to do the blocking, how do I do that, please?

ii) The Fasthost settings make a bit of sense - can I ask if I put them in Thunderbird or in the Fasthost site? I've never ventured into the Fasthost site!!

iii) As the incoming mail works on TalkTalk do I just need to tinker with the Outgoing numbers? Do I have to do whatever you suggest next with all of my blarblar@ addresses?

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Why now block port 25? It's to stop the use of insecure mail. Insecure mail both incoming and outgoing essentially puts TalkTalk customers at risk of having mail read and passwords captured.

Fasthosts use the following settings for personal domain emails.

For the Server Settings

• Port: 995 for POP3 or 993 for IMAP
  • Connection security: SSL

• Connection security: SSL

0 Likes

veryoldgit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Hello, thank you for your offer of help, it is very much appreciated. Yes, please, I'd be very grateful.

I understand what you say about TalkTalk blocking my outgoing emails, but why now, I wonder? We have not had an issue before, is it because I've just renewed my contract and the new increased cost doesn't cover the service any more?

Anyway, we have several email addresses from our 'domain' (if that is the correct terminology) -  blarblar@(domain).co.uk, blarblarblar@(domain).co.uk etc etc Fasthosts are the folks that hold our domain.

Is it going to be very complicated to carry out the alterations? - As I said, I don't understand the technology at all...We have just written emails and hit the send button up until now!

0 Likes