email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email forwarding from 123-reg now super slow or possibly not arriving

BallpointPen
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

Dear ...,

Since year 2006 I have always used 123-reg to forward emails from my registered domain ...@myregistereddomain.co.uk to myaddress@talktalk.net The only thing I use the domain for.

Since Saturday 13th Mar (possibly earlier) I notice that my emails are not forwarding in a timely manner and the sender receives a message stating TT991 (scan for spam!). As an example an email for a purchase from Amazon, sent Tue, 16 Mar 2021 14:20:50 +0000 arrived at myaddress@talktalk.net via forwarding at Fri, 19 Mar 2021 05:05:41 +0000.

I don't get many emails it's only personal stuff. How do I resolve this?

Regards,

Ballpoint.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Great to see the shared information and support that this Community brings about.

Nice work. A very useful thread.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

ptalk
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 11

Thanks Ballpoint.  Of course no comebacks on you but really appreciate the info and will give this serious consideration.

ptalk 

Message 3 of 11

ptalk,

Free to transfer UK domains over (easy with IPSTAG, see guides) and time remaining stays. You may if you wish then renew, time adds on - the price you pay now is the price you pay in the future (never any increase). I saw the bit about SRS too but decided against it.

The setting up was painless, although a bit scary waiting for things to propagate, but I wasn't getting any emails anyway via the redirect.

As you say, cheaper than 123-reg, wish I'd done this ages ago but heyho we learn.

Regards,

Ballpoint

nb. I wish you all the best if you take this route, assume you're also with 123-reg. You'll be on your own. I hope you appreciate I don't want to get involved - it opens a can of worms. But if I can do it I'm sure you'll manage - just follow the steps.

ptalk
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 11

Good tip. I think you must have shopped around. I hadn't thought of transferring the domain and Mythic Beasts certainly offers good value and lots of useful info.  Do you still have to pay to renew your personal domain through 123 reg or can you transfer the domain renewal to Mythic Beasts?

I notice Mythic Beasts also offer SRS (unlike !23 reg) for forwarding but as Gondola says, it seems a hosted mailbox will be more reliable.

Message 5 of 11

Hi BallpointPen 

Mail hosting for your personal domain and collecting messages from the hosted mailbox is far more reliable than forwarding from an intermediary. Good decision.

Message 6 of 11

ptalk and others,

Below took me a day to success, this was mostly waiting time as things propagated thru' the web. I now send/receive using my own email address: myname@mydomain.co.uk

My solution was to pay £1.67/month for email hosting.

Read: https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/domains/transfer and https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/domains/transfer-no-downtime

All working for me as of now.

Regards,

Ballpoint.

ptalk
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 11

I have exactly the same problem as you.

Gondola makes a good suggestion but I have concerns about leaving all my email on Google because they use what they know to do many "neat" tricks to "make my life easier" and it is getting harder to spot scams.

Possibly also not a perfect solution from privacy point of view, but I set up an account on Outlook.com and find that duplicate forwarding from 123 reg to Outlook.com is currently working fine and not delaying any emails that sometimes arrive hours or days late at TalkTalk.net. With Outlook.com, I can set up a safe senders list to control the spam checking for sources that I trust.  Unfortunately, that is not available with TalkTalk.

Message 8 of 11

Sincere good wishes for the new venture.

Gondola

Message 9 of 11

Gondola,

Thanks for the swift response.

Time for me to try and setup my own email server - should be fun! I'll post back with my success or not as I know others will be eager to know the outcome 😀

Regards,

Ballpoint

nb. Wish me luck.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @BallpointPen 

Forwarding of mail isn't totally reliable. This is because the forwarder may not be set up as a permitted sender. If mail is not fully authenticated there's a risk of mail being deferred for spam scanning (Content Deferred TT991). TalkTalk is checking mail much more aggressively than Gmail, for example.

So, mail is sent to you from amazon.com. The domain is fully authenticated to send the mail to you from the domain specified amazon.com mail servers only. But then you use the 123-reg mail servers to forward the mail. When that mail arrives at TalkTalk it's sent by a 123-reg mail server that isn't designated as a permitted sender for amazon.com. 123-reg doesn't rewrite the mail header. As a result the mail is spam tagged. Not because it's necessarily spam but to trigger spam scanning as a check.

Mail that's clearly not spam will usually be delivered but suffer a delay. Some delays can be many hours. Some mail may not make it through.

Pragmatically, if a lot of wanted mail messages are delayed or not delivered then using Gmail is an option for this particular type of mail usage as, at the moment, Gmail aren't as critical as TalkTalk.

The preferred solution is to collect mail from the 123-reg mailbox. You'd pay for mail hosting for your personal domain but it's way more reliable than forwarding.