cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email problem

opticfibre
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

I use admittedly an old system on my PC - MS Outlook 2003 - but up till recently it was worked.  I can receive emails (that's my TT emails) but now I can't reply or send or forward emails, they just sit in my Outbox.  Whether or not this is related to the recent TT requirement to check and possibly make setting changes I have no idea.  Please could someone help with this.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

That's good, thank you for all your help!

Message 2 of 11

From what you've shown I think you are nicely safe and secure for your email accounts. Good work.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 11

My Gmail account is already showing in my Windows Mail  'Accounts' and is working,  so I guess it's all done now?

Message 4 of 11

The TalkTalk email accounts if set up as IMAP email accounts will use the exact same Sync Options settings that you've successfully set up in Windows Mail.

The Gmail setup is different. When you add an email account to Windows Mail you'll see options presented for different types of email services.

• Select Google
  • Enter your Gmail email address > Next
  • Enter your Gmail password > Next
  • If there's 2 factor authentication set up then authorise the Windows access to Gmail
  • Done

The Gmail server settings are already pre-set in Windows Mail. The outgoing server settings are different from TalkTalk Mail settings but because they're already embedded into Windows Mail you don't need to worry about them.

Message 5 of 11

OK, I've changed the Username as you said, clicked Done, and it's set up successfully.  I then went back into the new account, to Advanced Mailbox settings, made the requested incoming and outgoing server changes and it seems OK. 

If I then go to Accounts, Manage accounts there are 3 accounts, 2 of which are similar - my TT email accounts, and I presume I should try and delete the older one?  The 3rd is my Gmail account.  Do I need to make any changes to it, similar to what I've done to the TT account?

Message 6 of 11

It's possible that TalkTalk have only blocked insecure outgoing emails from your mailbox because there was a Service Status notification that some customers would not be able to send but could receive effective 23rd February 2023.

OK, you're getting there with the Windows 10 Mail setup. I see you're setting up a new account.

Please correct: The Username must be the full email address so that needs amending to be the same as the Email address box.

Then when the account is set up you'll need to check the Sync options to make sure they look like this: (you can use either imap.talktalk.net:993:1 OR mail.talktalk.net:993:1 for the incoming email server as both will work. Just follow the step by step guide in the TalkTalk Help page for Check your Settings.

Windows Mail IMAP server settings for TalkTalk Mail

Message 7 of 11

OK, I told you I have signed in to TT webmail.  I'm trying to follow your guidance and I've told you I'm using Windows Mail latest version on my Windows 10 PC - is this what you mean by "Let us know what your choice of upgrade is"?

With some difficulty I think I've found on the Windows Mail what you want - I went to Settings, Add Account, Advanced setup, Internet email, add an account, where there are 8 fields to complete, which I have attempted to fill in, see photo (name blanked out).  Is that what is wanted?internet email accountinternet email account

You go on to say "When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access".  I wasn't aware that I have lost full (email) access?

Let me know what else I should do.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

I'm not shouting I'm giving factual, sensible and practical help you to keep your emails safe and secure.

Just follow all the guidance I gave in my reply.

I linked to the TalkTalk Help Content for Email Settings. That includes the setup for Windows Mail on Windows 10. I'll give you the direct link below.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Windows PC

opticfibre
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

I didn't expect to be shouted at.

Email is not, never has, and never will be a strong point with me.  Don't forget not all TT customers are young, eg less than 76 years old!

OK, I have signed in to the webmail using your blue link. I only see emails received in the last hour.

I do use the Windows 10 "Mail" as well, but up till now only for my other (Gmail) email. Apparently I can link the 2 inboxes in some way, but I can't seem to do it.  Maybe someone can help me with it....

What do you want me to do next?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Cease using Outlook 2003. It's not only been putting your emails and password at risk of being easily intercepted and read it's the culprit that got your mailbox switched to webmail only access. Do not take Outlook 2003 online ever again.

If you saw the message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software" then the email address receiving that notification has been limited to webmail only access as a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure email.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

You will be able to get email access restored to email apps or software including mail collection services, passwords will then re-authenticate, so long as you're ready to use up to date and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails. We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

Depending on what your device operating system is, the upgrade path is Outlook 2016 - Outlook 365 as paid upgrades, Windows Mail included with the Windows 10 or 11 package or free software like Thunderbird or BlueMail.

Let us know what your choice of upgrade is and we'll help you get secure mail settings.

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus