email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help desperately needed with old Onetel accounts!

ER_R002_003812_3
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 10

Hi

I use Apple Mail for a gmail account and three Onetel accounts.  Until a few days ago, I was using Gmail's SMTP server to send outgoing messages from my Onetel accounts but then I started getting DMARC errors.  I set up the latest TalkTalk SMTP settings and it worked fine for a few days.  Today Apple Mail says it's offline and to check my email and password.  I know these are correct and I can login OK via a browser.

I went onto the forum to see if I could find any advice and saw Andy's post about non-TalkTalk users losing their old accounts and Gondola's advice about resetting your password if it isn't very secure.  Both the reset password page and the page to set up TalkTalk Mail Plus won't load: "Safari can't establish a secure connection".  I tried Chrome but that doesn't work either.

I have to admit I'm getting a little frustrated!  I had a nightmare last October when TalkTalk started making changes without providing any information about how to change things and only got it working with the help of the forum (thank you).

Any help now would be greatly appreciated...   Willa

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi Gondola

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been away.  I used the link in your earlier message to change them before I went away with no luck, but I've just done it again and it's working fine.

Thank you so much, as always, for your help.

Best Regards...   Willa

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi ER_R002_003812_3, it looks like Gondola has this in hand for you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

You say you got the green banner and then a message to log in to my account with the new password. 

Are you resetting the email address password because when doing so successfully you should see the message that you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail?

It gives me the impression that you are resetting the MyAccount login.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 10
I've got Apple Mail working for the account with the updated password (my fault - forgot to update the incoming settings). So the remaining issue is password reset not working for the other two accounts.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10
I should have said - I've tried logging in with my old password too in case it hasn't actually changed it but that doesn't work any more.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Gondola

I get the green banner and it says I can now log in to my account with my new password.  But when I try it is says it's incorrect.  I've tried three or four times now and it's the same every time.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Staying with the password changes and ability to login to the onetel mailboxes via webmail.

One password upgrade is successful and you can sign in to that onetel mailbox via webmail.

When you successfully changed the password you would have received a green banner message that your password was updated.

Mailbox password was updated

For the two other onetel mailboxes that you hoped to upgrade the password for you're indicating that the password change was not successful.

If you didn't see the green banner message then the password has not been changed.

So I think you'll need to try those two password changes once more.

Message 8 of 10

Hi Gondola

Yes, you're right, I'm not a TalkTalk customer.

Thanks for coming to my rescue again.  The page you gave me to reset my password opened OK.  I was able to reset my password for one account and login in on my browser.  I updated Apple Mail but it says "Unable to verify account name or password."  I have authentication set to Password - maybe this is incorrect?

I then reset the password for my other two accounts.  When I try to log in to mail on my browser for these it says the password is incorrect.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hello again @ER_R002_003812_3 

Welcome back. I assume you're not a current TalkTalk Consumer customer as you're enquiring about TalkTalk Mail Plus which is for UK residents that are not customers but wish to retain the use of a TalkTalk Mail account.

I understand that the onetel mailboxes are all accessible via TalkTalk Mail webmail so that's good.

However, non-customer users can find their mailboxes are restricted to webmail only access or email client access can detect a weak password.

So, starting with the weak password question. Are your onetel passwords:

• Weak in your opinion?
  • Unique to each address / mailbox?
  • Longer than 8 characters?
  • Multicase letters and at least one number?
    preferably also with a symbol

Try the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password 

Does that bring up the Reset your password page and take you on to see your password recovery options?  If not, who is your Internet service provider that you're currently connected to?