cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Mail delays

Maggie-P
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Over the last week I have been made aware of emails being very delayed-  several days. In one case it was sent to both my email addresses, one copy arrived promptly the other took two days and then appeared to overwrite the first in terms of the date stamp.   Another simply took two days to arrive. These delays were addressed to my ukgateway account. 

I have now just receive a second copy of an email sent only to my Tiscali account yesterday. I moved the first to a folder and now this second one to the same folder. Both copies are showing on my laptop but only one on my phone. 

Apologies but it's really difficult to describe exactly what is happening.  

Otherwise I think my emails are arriving as normal and sending seems to be working but obviously I don't know what I am missing! 

So far as I can tell all these issues relate to emails from different users of the same charity  address.  I have used them regularly. 

It is very frustrating and embarrassing not being able to rely on receiving important communications. Could this have anything to do with the migration?

Margaret Pringle
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

At least you now know that there's nothing in your mailbox settings stopping mail from arriving in the Inbox.  If mail does have attachments then it most likely will be delayed in delivery whilst it's queued for scanning to make sure there's nothing suspicious in the email body or the attachment.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 10

The few emails from individuals that were delayed up to two days earlier in the week have all arrived -eventually ! 

The group is a different issue. I was receiving my own copy of the leaders  emails for a while but had not seen anything recently - I assumed all was quiet. Someone else started a thread but highlighted that they didn't have my address - a friend forwarded this to me and it became obvious that I had missed quite a lot of discussion. I assumed this was because my email address had slipped off the list but it now appears I simply wasn't receiving anything.  I had an exchange with the leader and received his replies (just to me) promptly.  

Yesterday I received a few emails as part of "reply alls" to a message to the group - BUT i hadn't seen the leader's original - and still haven't .   Then this morning I did receive a new email from the leader sent to the whole group, and subsequent some reply alls.  

I won't know whether it is really fixed until the leader sends out another email. The unreliability remains  a concern

I have also received a few other emails today - all as expected. But as always I won't know what i am missing unless, as here, I find out some other way.

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure there is anything else I can do at the moment.

Thank you.

Margaret Pringle

Message 3 of 10

When you say all OK - are you now receiving all of the mail from the group sends that previously wasn't appearing in your Inbox?

Useful to have that confirmation.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

All done - thank you. It seems to be OK at the moment - fingers crossed it stays that way.

Margaret Pringle

Message 5 of 10

Blocked Senders filters will have been inherited from the previous TalkTalk Mail webmail platform. They'll be way out of date and were never reliable.

Yes, please use the dustbin icon to delete all Filter rules so that, just like the tiscali email account you get an indicator of 'No rule defined.' That's then made absolutely sure that there is nothing stopping mail from arriving in the UK Gateway Inboxes. 

Message 6 of 10

This morning I have received a new email from the person initiating emails to the group!! It does seem unlikely that the settings are the cause of the problem as it is intermittent and seemingly random. Also this isn’t the first time I have had delayed or missing emails and I have an ongoing issue not receiving a newsletter .

I have followed your suggestions in the hope we might discover what is going on.

I checked my ukgateway addresses (There are two email addresses but they are exact mirrors of each other – I think this was something to do with being offered a randomly generated address which you could then change when the email was set up more than 20 years ago.)   

I also checked the Tiscali address .

There are  just a few emails in junk and these were all moved there by me a  while ago when I had a run of spam emails. No other messages in any of the junk/spam folders.

Tiscali filter shows “No rule defined”

For the Ukgateway addresses (both the same).

Two grey boxes

First says Vacation notice and if I click edit auto fills the dates to 9 days from today

Second says Blocked senders filter admin discard

Both boxes have an enable option and there is a bin

I wasn’t sure whether these were actual filters or options. I am sure I didn’t set these up.

Should I delete these? Can I see my list of blocked senders?

Thank you for your patient help!

Margaret Pringle
0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

The first checks to make are looking at other mailbox folders and to ensure that you have no filter rules defined in your webmail mailbox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know what you see.

Message 8 of 10

Thank you for the response. I have just discovered that I have been missing emails to my Ukgateway address from yet another sender for sometime. (These weren't delayed - they never arrived). These are messages going to about 10 people. Having discovered this, I was able to receive emails just sent to me by the person sending to the group. However I have now missed another important email sent to the group. Interestingly I have just received emails where I am copied in to reply all from others in the group. 

I am very concerned about what else I may have missed. I'm at a loss as to what to do next!  

Margaret Pringle

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Short answer is yes, some delays may be due to the current phased migration of mailboxes to the new OX Cloud 8 platform and delays are affecting unmigrated mailboxes. I reported a delay on 20 July due to the use of an additional mail exchange server at the current mail platform.  Currently there is no consistent delay that I'm aware of.

If your UKGateway mail is being sent to an alias address then that already goes through a delay because the inbound mail is routed via a rewrite server before being sent on to your master mailbox destination.

Tiscali mail inbound goes direct to your tiscali mailbox but currently via an additional mail exchange server at the current mail platform.

Repeated or copied mail messages aren't the fault of the TalkTalk Mail servers so that will be a separate issue.