cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Need recovery details updated as linked to email I can’t access

Brammo55
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

My password has suddenly stopped working and tried to reset but the recovery link is the same email I can’t access please help as I have so much important and confidential information I need access to 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Gondola 

Thank you so much for your time and help on trying to get this sorted. 
I’ll await Adys help in rectifying this problem and hopefully verifying me and unbarring if this is what has happened. 

Also thank you for the guidance on unauthorised filters I did not know any of that. 

a

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Thanks for confirming that you cannot sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail. Either the mailbox password has been compromised and changed or the password changed for security or the mailbox barred as the ultimate security precaution.

So, Ady will need to verify you via Community Private Messaging (PM) as the registered user of the email address and he'll need to do that by cross-checking the personal data including home address and landline phone number held by TalkTalk that would have been registered at the time the email address was created.

Then the mailbox checked, and unbarred if needed, followed by password recovery reset details set up so you can set a new password to access webmail and then proceed to subscribe to MailPlus to retain the email address long term.

I've already requested that your new Reset details be set up, following your personal verification, so I'll also ask Ady to check for mailbox barring as well as being limited to webmail only access.

When you do get access restored you should check that no unauthorised filter rules have been set up.

Sign in to webmail, Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

I cannot get into my email through webmail or my phone with my password that I have not changed. It was even saved in my password manager but now just says password incorrect which was why I’m worried has someone hacked into my account  and changed it I don’t know? As my password will no longer be accepted this is also preventing me from signing up to talktalk mail plus. 
I see you mentioned about email being restricted to webmail for security. Could I have blocked my email by entering my password on my phone too many times and it not being accepted? Im just lost why it just suddenly stopped letting me in. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 7

I see from your other active topic that you've confirmed you haven't had an active TalkTalk broadband customer MyAccount for some ten years or so.

Ady can verify that you are the registered user of the email address by checking the postal address and home telephone number that you had at the time the email address was created. He may need to Private Message to you a different set of questions.

To retain the use of an email address with TalkTalk you'd need to either rejoin TalkTalk for home broadband or subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus. So, I'll give you the subscription details for MailPlus in a link below. If the MailPlus subscription verifies your email address and its password as eligible for a MailPlus subscription then you'll be able to set up a Direct Debit and have a MailPlus MyAccount automatically set up.

But the process does rely on you knowing the current email password. You didn't reply here to say whether you could or could not sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail. If you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail then that will prove you know the current password. Furthermore you then have the ability to set up your own password recovery reset details. Update your reset details is an item on the main menu.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

• Tell us if the email sign in works. If not what error message do you see presented?
  • If working, set up password recovery Reset details.
  • Then select the subscribe to MailPlus link and let us know if that verifies you're eligible for MailPlus.  The verification process may say it looks like you're an existing customer that is not true as regards home broadband but would come up with that result if the MyAccount holding your email address is still on the system perhaps because it's still got a TalkTalk Mobile account linked to it as well as the email address.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus

Cancel TalkTalk MailPlus

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Hi Brammo55, I've sent you a personal message to obtain more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

Hi Brammo55 

How do you normally access your mail messages? Customers are being restricted to webmail only access as a last resort to stop the use of insecure settings on email software or services continuing to access a mailbox using insecure settings.

Can you access the TalkTalk Mail account via the webmail sign in? The browser may have saved your last known password.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and last known password, select Sign in. If you can sign in then Update your Reset details is via the main settings menu top right triple line icon.

You haven't kept password recovery Reset details up to date so if you cannot sign in to webmail to update Reset details you'll need TalkTalk Support to set up new Reset details for you.

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer, home broadband, or MailPlus, mail only, customer? Provided the password has not been reset then if you know the current email password you can change the password in your MyAccount* > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail. You'll need to manually enter the current email password and then set a new password.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.