email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thousands of old emails being downloaded

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 54 of 54

Today my wife's email account downloaded over 5000 emails. I know that this happened a few years ago to some people but I want to bring it to the attention of the OCEs that it is happening again.

My own account has not been affected in the same way.

Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 21 of 54

Yes it’s happening to me and getting worse.

10 thousand old e mails being downloaded at first once a week and now a couple of times a day when I check my mail.

HELP PLEASE!

0 Likes

ArkRoyal
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 54

You are most welcome and I am very pleased that my advice resolved your email issues.

Message 23 of 54

That's great news. Thanks for posting back to let us know. You might want to mark ArkRoyal's post as the best answer. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 24 of 54

Thank you so much my issue is now resolved. I followed all your suggestions thank you

0 Likes

Message 25 of 54

Hi Not techy, I'm sorry you're having this problem, but I'm delighted to see that ArkRoyal has given you great advice. You might want to give likes to the posts of those who help you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

ArkRoyal
Conversation Starter
Message 26 of 54

Please read back on my earlier comments in this thread during February. It seems to me that tedious though it is, you will have to delete your old emails at source in TalkTalk Webmail. Either that or transfer them into a dedicated folder within Webmail. In the absence of any option within your ipads email client to delete emails automatically as they download, or after 30 days say, then you will need to set yourself a diary to do the job manually every so often. If large numbers of historic emails are not left in your Webmail inbox, then whatever is triggering automatic redownloading the numbers will at least be manageable 🙂 Hope that helps.

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 27 of 54
Sorry to hear that.

Maybe someone else will come up with a solution.

Message 28 of 54

Thank you for your help unfortunately this did not work! Back to the drawing board

@Stokerwrote:
I used Mail on a Mac where there is a setting to get rid of the emails on the server immediately they are downloaded. There doesn't seem to be exactly the same setting on an iPad.

On your iPad you could try the following:-

If you are on the latest version of iOS then in Settings go to Accounts and Passwords.
Choose the email account and go to Advanced and change the setting for Delete from Server to "When removed from Inbox".
Let all the emails download, delete the account, cycle the power off and on again on the iPad and then recreate the account.

Try Googling "How to delete emails on the server from an ipad" for more comprehensive advice.

@Stokerwrote:
I used Mail on a Mac where there is a setting to get rid of the emails on the server immediately they are downloaded. There doesn't seem to be exactly the same setting on an iPad.

If you are on the latest version of iOS then in Settings go to Accounts and Passwords.
Choose the email account and go to Advanced and change the setting for Delete from Server to "When removed from Inbox".
Let all the emails download, delete the account, cycle the power off and on again on the iPad and then recreate the account.

Try Googling "How to delete emails on the server from an ipad" for more comprehensive advice.

0 Likes

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 29 of 54

Message 30 of 54
Yes I have read this previously, unfortunately as soon as I delete any thousands come back in. I also cannot find anywhere in settings which you have used to stop them as they come in. Totally list and a talk talk have been useless
0 Likes

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 31 of 54
See my posting dated 18/2/2018.

Nottechy1
Popular Poster
Message 32 of 54

I have just bought a new ipad and inadvertently deleted the email icon. I have set it all back up and now I am receiving thousands of emails from as far back as 2016, as soon as I delete them they come back. Both myself and my husband have had this before but I cannot remember how to resolve. It is happening on both POP and IMAP, help?

0 Likes

Message 33 of 54

You're welcome Stoker.

0 Likes

ArkRoyal
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 54

Interesting. It would have been helpful if knowing this Email Admins could have conveyed it to TalkTalk staff who when dealing with customers would then be up to date and better able to give advice. The technician I spoke to recently courtesy of Chief Office, certainly didn’t mention the platform launch or its current downside...

Can we also expect a further statement please from EA covering the ‘common side effects’ of POP, which could prove very useful to any readers of this thread? Specifically in this respect – as it was my inbox which kept downloading as per last year -  I was informed yesterday that TT are rolling out changes and hope  these will be in place by the end of the year. Whatever these changes might embrace all told, I pointed out that it should be entirely possible to put together a script for TT staff to use which would better assist customers reporting these problems, and within the space of weeks now not months. The 'common side effects' of POP have been going on for years now, so some clear and straightforward advice for customers is now long overdue.

0 Likes

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 35 of 54

Thanks for the update Ady.

It's good to know that it shouldn't happen again.

Message 36 of 54

Hi Stoker, what's happened is that the Email Admins are working to prepare all the mailboxes for the new platform's launch. In readiness for this they're clearing out mail over 60 days old from trash folders. Some corrupt mailboxes of which your wife's is one need to be repaired and this can and does lead to the one off reappearance of old mails. I'm told it won't happen again to any mailbox which has suffered this. I should add this only affects POP users and should not be confused with previous occurrences that are fairly common side effects of using POP. 

0 Likes

ArkRoyal
Conversation Starter
Message 37 of 54

Just read Stoker's reply. After last year I too had ensured the setting in my email client specified the deletion of emails one month after being downloaded. Clearly this did not work which is why I have now had to change it to delete each email automatically once it has been downloaded. Not my preference at all but needs must at present.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 54

Several times last year within a shot span of time, then again this year. I did delete a lot in Webmail last year but clearly not enough as evidently they quickly build up again. Nor did I fully understand the problem at that time, acting on advice from my email client designer only, having received no helpful input from TT.

I think that normally my emails would only have redownloaded the once last year, until that is this year when the cap was exceeded - being I have to assume, around 5k. That it happened more than once last year is probably down to technicians resetting my account or whatever in an effort to resolve the receiving/sending (whichever it was) issue I had at that time.

Thinking back on my experience having been with TalkTalk since 2010, I wonder if the cap has actually been reduced over time?

0 Likes

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 39 of 54

I vaguely remember it happening some time ago but not on the same scale as this time.

It looks as though someone did a restore somewhere along the line and restored all my wife's emails back to the start of 2017. At one time it was over 11000 emails being downloaded.

The settings in our email client specify the deletion of emails one month after being downloaded.

HTH

0 Likes

Message 40 of 54

How many times has this happened to your mailbox?

0 Likes