cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to Logon to Inbound Mail server

The147man
Participant
Private Message
Message 28 of 28

When I attempt to update my account settings (mail.talktalk.net:993) in Outlook when I select "test Account Settings" I get

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your incoming (POP3) email server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS NAMESPACE QUOTA AUTH

When I log in to webmail I can see that test Outbound messages have been sent

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 21 of 28

Hi The147man, you'll need to confirm her settings are now correct and add the email address to your community profile. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 28

I'm having this exact same error since yesterday as well. I also have a google pixel. everything is set up as you have stated but I get an error @Couldnt open connection to the server@. I am able to send emails but can not receive them.

Thanks

Anu

0 Likes

Message 23 of 28

Hi Ady,

My access is now working but my Wife's is not do you need her email address to restore? If so do I post it here?

0 Likes

Message 24 of 28

Has your wife's email mailbox been limited to webmail only access as a result of previous use of insecure settings?  The Gmail email app will not be able to authenticate the password if device access has been switched off. If that's the case then your wife's email mailbox needs access restoring first.

The Gmail setup guide is given below.

When starting to Add the email account to the Gmail app:

• Select Add account or if one is already set up select the triple lines top left and scroll down to Settings cog icon and select the account and scroll down to Server Settings (see table of settings)
  • If asked to select from types of email account, select Other and NEXT
  • Enter the email address and MANUAL SETUP
  • Select Personal (IMAP) account and NEXT
  • Enter the password

These are the Incoming and Outgoing server settings for the TalkTalk Mail account. You'll probably need to edit the mail server names to make sure the incoming server is prefixed by mail. and the outgoing server is prefixed by smtp. and both use the talktalk.net host name.

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Type SSL/TLS
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Type STARTTLS
Require sign-in Yes

Let us know if that's good.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

The147man
Participant
Private Message
Message 25 of 28

The settings you have provided below have worked for me on my Desktop (Outlook 365) and Samsung Galaxy (Samsung Email app) but do not work for my wife on her Google Pixel 7 (Gmail)

The outbound settings all seem fine but when I specify the Inbound settings provided it responds with "Problem with account setup Username or password is incorrect"

The only difference in her setup (apart of course from her Email address) is that the security type doesn't allow SSL so I am selecting SSL/TLS

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 26 of 28

Hi The147man, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 28

Hi The147man 

The server responded: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS NAMESPACE QUOTA AUTH is what the response is from the IMAP server when you access port 993. It's then waiting for the next IMAP command.

But you have set up a POP3 email account on Outlook and therefore you should be using port 995 to issue POP3 commands to the TalkTalk mail server.

The email settings for pipex email (other than Username and Password) are absolutely identical for all TalkTalk Mail domains.  What version of Outlook are you using?

Perhaps this will help.

Go via the Advanced setup settings of an email profile, as in this example for Windows 10 or 11.

• Select the  Windows icon bottom left
  • Select the  Settings cog icon
  • Select Accounts
  • Select  Email & Accounts
  • Select the email account
  • Select Change account or double click on the email account

At that point on your device you ought to see the Outlook setup to enter the TalkTalk Mail server settings for the POP3 secure account.

Account Type  POP3 secure
Username Full Pipex email address
Password Pipex email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (POP3) 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

If still having difficulty, then take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the Camera icon above this Reply area. But hopefully, going via the profile should enable you to update the settings.

However, the talktalk mailbox server will not authenticate the password until TalkTalk Support restore access for you if TalkTalk have withdrawn device access and that's why you're updating the settings..

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution