cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to access tiscali emails using the Gmail mobile app

neilvw
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 10 of 10

Hi, my mum uses a Tiscali email address and we need to restore her IMAP4 / POP3 access, so she can get her emails on her GMail app on iPhone. how can I send you her email address? 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

As Ady has confirmed there is no restriction applied to the email address beginning with M in your customer MyAccount (I assume that's mum's email address just for avoidance of doubt) then if the Gmail account is set up as I previously indicated and there's an Internet connection (but no VPN or Internet security like Kaspersky blocking secure ports) then the Gmail app should work.

All I can now suggest is that you screenshot the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address after the M and upload here using the picture icon above this reply area so I can double check for you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 10

Thanks to you Ady and Gondola, and sorry for the delay in replying. 

The smartphone is connected to the internet (websites are working) and I have changed Mum's password to one conforming with the criteria. I deleted and re-added the account again, still no joy. Again it accepted the settings but said No Connection when I tried to retrieve emails. 

To Gondola's question, I may be nominated user for Mum on TalkTalk's records but I'm not sure. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi neilvw, I've checked both our mail systems for the email address beginning with M in your MyAccount there are no restrictions showing against it. I've asked the email team to double check in case there's something on the backend that I can't see.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 10

I've requested TalkTalk Support to check if the tiscali email address has been limited to webmail only access. Are you a nominated user for mum's TalkTalk customer account?  If not there is a data protection requirement to liaise with the registered email user for anything more than a basic check on access.  Just a heads up on this aspect.

Message 5 of 10

The device is connected to the Internet isn't it?  The Gmail app will usually verify the settings for the Incoming mail server and the Outgoing mail server as you enter them.

A connection being rejected could be because the password is weak. The password must be a minimum of 8 characters, although I recommend 12 - 15, multicase letters and at least one number and one approved symbol. Does the password comply with the minimum requirements for security?

Message 6 of 10

Thank you, Gondola. I tried deleting the TalkTalk email account from the phone and re-adding it using the details above. It accepted the settings but it says No Connection and won't retrieve any emails. I would be grateful if you could send Support my way. 

Many thanks
Neil

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Ah, you've picked up an old post that was in relation to the user not using secure mail settings even after notification by TalkTalk that secure settings were mandatory. So, that user was limited to webmail only access as a last resort to stop the insecure connection to the mailbox.

The other reason for being limited to webmail only access is that the mailbox is not added to an active customer MyAccount. If mum's email has been limited to webmail only access then that will need attention from TalkTalk Support here next week.

For now I'll just repeat the setup for the Gmail app that you saw on the original post.

The gMail app usually sets up fairly easily although the manual settings do need double-checking. The app verifies the incoming and outgoing server settings so you know if the setup for both receiving and sending mail is good.

When starting to Add the email account to the Gmail app:

• You select Other and Enter your email address and NEXT
  • Select Personal (IMAP) account and NEXT
  • Enter the password

These are the Incoming server and Outgoing server settings for TalkTalk email accounts. You'll possibly need to edit the mail server names to make sure the incoming server is mail.talktalk.net and the outgoing server is smtp.talktalk.net - All TalkTalk domains including tiscali.co.uk and sister email addresses use the same talktalk.net host servers.

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password Tiscali email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Type SSL/TLS
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Type STARTTLS
Require sign-in Yes

neilvw
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

Thank you, Gondola. Webmail

is working fine, it’s just the app that hasn’t been working for about 10 days for her. 

Mum has had no message from TalkTalk that I am aware of.

It was actually a post from you that I was referring to (I can’t seem to link it but here it is):

Message 2 of 7

The devices are both capable of secure mail for viewing and sending mail messages via Gmail.

First the Gmail app on the iphone.

The gMail app usually sets up fairly easily although the manual settings do need double-checking. The app verifies the incoming and outgoing server settings so you know if the setup for both receiving and sending mail is good. IMPORTANT. The Gmail app will not verify the TalkTalk settings until TalkTalk restore IMAP4 / POP3 access for you. I'll request that and you'll receive a reply from TalkTalk Support right here in due course.

I am sure I have entered correct settings but it seems we have to request IMAP4 to be restored for her?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Hi Neil

Sorry to note your mum is not able to access her TalkTalk Mail messages on the Gmail app. I've just tested that TalkTalk Mail is still working with the Gmail app. I didn't reply sooner because I had to wait a full 15 minutes for the Gmail app to sync to new messages as that's the default frequency for fetching new messages.

When you say restore IMAP/POP3 access are you indicating that her email account has been limited to webmail only access? Has she received a notification from TalkTalk to this effect?

First thing is to test that the mailbox is working via webmail.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter her full TalkTalk Mail tiscali email address, select Continue and enter the tiscali password, select Sign in.

Can she sign in OK and send and receive mail messages?

0 Likes