Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send mail

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES 4
David3645
First Timer

For more than a week my wife and I have been unable to send emails from our TalkTalk accounts. Incoming emails are not affected. The error messages are:
Server Error: 500
Server Response: 500 5.1.1 aTK0fRBXcdJAe IP Blacklisted (TT504)
Server: "smtp.talktalk.net"
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79
Protocol: SMTP
What could have caused this and how can we correct it?

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi David

You've got an interesting collection of errors there. A bit of troubleshooting will be needed.

First, please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your TalkTalk landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the talktalk email addresses to the Private Notes box and save changes. The TalkTalk Community support OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account and email accounts.

Next use webmail and check you can log in and send each other emails. i.e. talktalk to talktalk email.

The error 500 usually indicates a syntax error which in turn often means that an anti-virus or security software is upsetting your email client. Temporarily pause / disable anti-virus whilst troubleshooting.  There have been issues with Kaspersky and Avast products.

The IP Blacklisting report might indiate that your personal IP address has been linked to suspicious activity. Check your IP address click here. Just switch off your router for a few minutes (if on a standard Broadband connection) or 30 minutes (if on a fibre to the cabinet Broadband connection) to see if a new IP address is allocated.

Worth checking the settings for your email client. Note that password encryption is not used so any reference to Secure Password Authentication do not use and Password Authentication is by Normal Password i.e. your email address as the username and the email password as a plain password without encryption and the same password settings for outgoing and incoming email. You'll need to check the email client as to whether it's set up for IMAP or POP3 protocol and use the appropriate port number.

The TalkTalk.net email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) POP3
Login / Username username@talktalk.net username@talktalk.net
Password Yes Yes
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993 995
Incoming Security SSL SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes Yes

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi David3645, some great advice from Gondola there. Let us know if this has got your problem sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

David3645
First Timer

Thanks very much for the reply. After re-booting the modem several times everything is now working. My wife is the secretary of a U3A group with about 30 members and I wonder if her emails to the group might have been considered spam and caused the blacklisting.

David.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi David, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.