cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

can you send a password recovery link for one of my mailboxes?

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 36

password has changed on one of my mailboxes.

but i can't use the password recovery link .

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 36

Hi TT

My email account is still hacked 

Its been over a week now since I first contacted TT requesting you provide a password reset link.

I supplied private details as requested 5 days ago.

The hacker is causing havoc with my private accounts involving money 

I have still have no action to reset password.

What is causing problem?

Why will TT not send a pwd reset link?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 36

Hi davethurston, I've sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 36

many thanks gondola

at least i understand better whats going on and knock-on effects of server migration.

from my point of view, i was counting  6 days since  last email access on that acct was 30th August 

thanks anyway

Message 24 of 36

You reported the issue here Monday afternoon so I've escalated in to the TalkTalk Community workflow and hopefully a TalkTalk Community Support person will pick up tomorrow, Tuesday, and after verification of your personal data the setup of Reset details should be done within 48 hours but normally within 24 hours.

Then you'll need to set up a unique password and check the mailbox for any after-effects of the hacking. Hopefully you'll be fully back in action before the end of the week.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 36

ok

i'll wait.

already been without that email access for 6 days.

hope it's not too long...

Message 26 of 36

Best that you stop what you're doing because mailboxes listed in your customer MyAccount are not the same as added secondary email accounts added to a primary email account TalkTalk Mail login.  Note the TalkTalk Mail login - I'm not talking about a TalkTalk MyAccount login.

Deleting a mailbox from the customer MyAccount will permanently delete that mailbox and make it unrecoverable. So just as well that creation and deletion is suspended.  When deletion is active there is also a warning banner about it being a permanent deletion.

Just wait for TalkTalk Support to pick up this topic and get you on the path to recover access to your hacked email account.

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 36

catch 22. i tried to just delete the secondary acct but you've suspended the ability to delete mailboxes whilst you upgrade your servers.

i haven't tried deleting the fully working primary email acct which i still have full access to.

would that delete the secondaries?

could i then recreate the primary ãnd secondaries with new pwds etc?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 36

Yes, delete the secondary TalkTalk Mail email accounts if they've been added to a migrated primary email account TalkTalk Mail login. But you'll not be able to reinstate them as added accounts until you have set a new password for each secondary email account.

You'll use the same added email account address but with a new unique password. That password will get encrypted with the password for the primary email account to create a new secret password that only exists between the primary email account and the connection to an added secondary email account. You'll not lose any existing mail messages as the connection is made using IMAP protocol that just mirrors emails in the secondary account mailbox.

But the primary focus should be on recovery of access to the compromised email account. i.e. verifying that you are the registered owner securing the account and setting up your new Reset details for password recovery.

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 36

can i just go ahead and delete the secondary email mailboxes and then reinstate them?

will i be allowed to re-use the same addresses?

i wont lose anything?

0 Likes

Message 30 of 36

Hi Dave

The other person you mentioned asked on 22 November 2022 for email account recovery because their email account had knowingly been compromised.

You've now explained further that you see an unrecognised password recovery email address which is a classic sign that your email account has been compromised, the password changed by a hacker via edited password recovery Reset details.

In that regard, the OP's account being compromised in late 2022 and yours being compromised a week ago, yes, the circumstances are the same but totally unrelated to the new migration of mailboxes to the new mail platform.

I've given you the details to follow to get help for password recovery including in due course the details for safeguarding your online mailbox by checking for unwanted Filter rules that may have been set up by a hacker to spy on your emails.

I will update those instructions to also include advice for newly migrated mailboxes.

Message 31 of 36

where did it say secondary email accts need to be deleted and hopefully reinstated?

first i've heard of it but could explain the problem the migration has caused.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 36

details....  i've used  an email address for many years. i've not changed password in it for years. five days ago, the email app said it now needs authentication and that the pwd is wrong. i tried all pwds i could think of to no avail.

i tried talking to ' chat'  for two hours over two days - pointless.

So i decided to login to my acct and request a password reset link for one of the secondary mailboxs on my acct.

but that is when you notice that the recovery address has now changed to the email address which is inaccessible- how stupid is that?

Worse, it offers another recovery email address  which i have never seen in my life and have no idea of the associated password.

You say talktalk mods couldn't cause this problem but dont you think two independent customers suffering exactly the same symptoms  is strange?

0 Likes

Message 33 of 36

The mailbox migration to a new mail platform will not have affected mailbox password recovery Reset details nor individual mailbox sign in passwords.

However, if you have secondary added email accounts that are part of a primary newly migrated mailbox then secondary email accounts will need to be deleted and reinstated because the encrypted password for a secondary account is no longer valid.

davethurston wrote: ...password has changed on one of my mailboxes...but i can't use the password recovery link .

Perhaps you could confirm the exact meaning of "can't use the password recovery link". just so I can be sure I'm giving you the correct solution.

davethurston
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 36

gondola

thanks for the process.

updated profile and now awaiting feedback......

interestingly, 44 mins ago there was a post by AmieAngel describing exactly the same problem with his email account (except I am the account holder).

TT say they have been sorting out the backend of their email app and, apologies, hope to be finished by September. But date not mentioned.....  Obviously they have caused this problem ?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 36

A weak password or compromised email account can trigger a password reset or blocking of the mailbox to help secure customer data. You may need help to recover access.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available or are out of date or unrecognised. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

Use the new password to access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages. Hackers set up or modify Filter rules to spy on your emails.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon (cog icon for migrated mailboxes) top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings or All settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Under the Mail heading, select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.