email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fao The Community Team

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 9

Please reinstate my message that I posted on here asking for help. Of course it was entitled "Dodgy email" because I was wanting advice as to how to how to deal with the possibility that my email account had been hacked.

Rather upsetting to find my time wasted after writing it all, and then receiving the following from the rather cowardly "Anonymous":

"Your post - 'Dodgy email', has been identified as potentially being spam and has been held in our spam filters. If not spam, please contact us by posting in the community for the attention of the community team."

So here I am, having to waste more time having to sign in, write this etc.

Upset. Please reinstate my thread!

Moderator Note: Reinstated from email notification posted on 10-05-2019 10:09 PM.

Dodgy email

I found an extremely dodgy email in my TalkTalk.net inbox yesterday (NOT in spam). It appeared to be from me (my full name) and subject Re: for all.

The main body was saying that On Thursday, May 09, 2019 10.25AM My Name wrote: Might be something you'd want to check and then stuff directing me to http....(the essential bits involved the following but I 've broken it up to stop it working) bt.....7z.......If.....hn.....no.....info/

It looks extremely dodgy and I have deleted it from both the inbox and recycling. Has my account been hacked? I took a look at my email account (n.b. this is NOT the same address that I use for My Account Billing, and I do not want the Billing one changed or investigated at all). I found that I could not see where or how to change my TalkTalk.net password.

It used to be easy. I also see in other threads that other people are in a terrible mess with trying to change their password. Maybe I should just leave it as is? How am I supposed to be able protect my TalkTalk.net account from hackers if I can't control my own password? And finally has my TalkTalk.net account been fiddled with by someone to cause me to receive that message, spoofing my full name? For now, I have decided to simply change the way my name displays on my email account in order to baffle whoever spoofed it.

Upsetting.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 1 of 9

Managed this following the first option that @Gondola  sent me and similarly removed and replaced my talk talk.net account on my smartphone. 

This all worked fine.....only now my PC's Edge browser is glitching.....sigh. 

Thank you,  Gondola. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi Gliwmaeden2, I haven't replied because Gondola has given all the right advice. If he hadn't I'd be surprised, but would have stepped in. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

In "my profile " on my Samsung smartphone I can't see how to get to the details you mention to leave my TT.net address. 

Probably easier on the PC but I  can't get to that at the moment. 

I have long wondered how to access more than basic profile stuff re badges etc as nothing seems to work beyond that level on here.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

I immediately deleted the offending email from both inbox and bin. 

I am just surprised not to have seen advice from an OCE. Thank you for your help with this,  Gondola, but now is not the time for me to risk getting into a tangle with my password and risking losing access to important past emails,  as appears to be happening to other customers. 

I am in a total domestic mess - now chasing a decorator for switching an expensive quick drying paint that I had paid for for a cheaper slow drying one and then charging me for 17 days' work which was far in excess of the 10 days initially estimated. This may involve following up with professional bodies / legal advice over the coming weeks .....

There simply isn't time to risk losing everything. Similarly I have not had any calm time to try out the alternative router TT sent me weeks ago....

I just would have expected a little input from an OCE on this topic by now. How widespread is this problem of people finding it very difficult to change their TT.net password or is it only happening to those we see with problems on here?

I don't want to "try it and see" as I couldn't bear the further stress if it all goes wrong!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 

If your email address is being spoofed because scammers or spammers have discovered your email address then there's precious little to be done. Don't respond to the email and do advise your contacts to be wary and do make a report to TalkTalk (if it happens again) by forwarding the email as per the advice article Report a phishing or spam email 

If your email account has been compromised then changing the password is the essential protection step to take.

Are you having trouble with either of the methods of changing the email password? Please say, please put the email address into your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes at the bottom of the page and then further help can be provided.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

No sign of any help.....

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Thanks, Gondola. They need better algorithms for spotting genuine spam versus genuine emails. 

Will try to follow your guidance re changing the password. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 

Posts can get trapped by the comment spam filtering especially when editing and reposting. The email notification is from the Community system not a real person.  As the OCE's aren't back to release the post from comment spam until next week I've appended the original unedited notified version to your post. 

As for whether your email has been compromised or spoofed here's the advice article: Compromised or spoofed accounts 

Please do try the Reset your Password option to reset your password. Or you can change your email password in MyAccount if the email account is listed in your MyAccount.  Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount. As it's not the billing email address then the MyAccount login or the billing email address will not be affected.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes