cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Help me contact someone that can actually help with Openreach GFast fault

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 78 of 78

Really suffering trying to deal with the TalkTalk support staff through the regular process with my fault. Is there any TalkTalk staff here that can actually put me in touch with someone that understands GFast and the Openreach faults process outside of the typical TalkTalk scripted workflow that seems to breakdown entirely with more complex issues?

For the last 2.5 years I have had a GFast service, previously with another ISP but 6 months ago I migrated this to TalkTalk. The copper distance between my master socket and the PCP cabinet where the GFast kit is installed is approx 30Meters and up until the 25/26th August my max sync rate with the cab in Openreach own data proved to me by Openreach install as well as engineer fault visits was around 600Mbps but capped at 330Mbps in line with the maximum profile Openreach allow customers to order. Nice short reliable line. Everything should be great. 

Unfortunately we recently suffered two prolonged 10-12 hour outages (that impacted not just me but also my neighbours using  with other ISPs) and since the second of these around 25/26 august my line will not sync at its previous speeds and has dropped and will no longer sync above 250Mbps, less than half of the original capability and 80Mbps less than I was previously getting at the 330 artificial profile cap.

I’ve raised faults through the normal processes and Openreach have now attended twice to try and resolve, both times confirming that there is an issue not just with my port, but the spare ports on the GFast kit in the cab as well which also will no longer sync at expected speeds, suggesting the entire card, or physical connector to the copper pairs is now faulty (perhaps damaged when swapping a faulty card after the outages?).

On the second visit the OR engineer finally raised an internal LLUMS case to have an additional card installed (there is actually a spare card but this has also been marked as faulty) so that they could try and shift me to a new non-faulty port to try and fix the issues. Happy days.  However, through the normal TalkTalk support process the fault tickets just keep getting closed as everything according to TalkTalk is working fine and the outcome from the Engineer visits requiring the new card and port shift is ignored. Leaving me the choice of going back at the start of the scripted troubleshooting process again to get the fault re-raised! A waste of everyone’s time!

How can I deal with someone within TalkTalk who can actually chase down a resolution to the LLUMS case with Openreach, resolve my fault properly and restore my service back to how it was working for the last 2.5 years before these outages? I do not feel considering this is confirmed as an Openreach problem that this is unreasonable? I don’t feel the community is the right place for this but even having ‘escalated’ these faults I do not feel that the ‘senior managers in support’ that only make outbound calls are actually any better than a normal script follower?

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
77 REPLIES 77

Message 61 of 78

No worries, if that's the only way to progress this then I will respond to the PM regarding the next engineer visit now and get this moving.

Many Thanks

Message 62 of 78

Hi coop3r

Apologies, the only option we have now is to arrange another engineer visit.

If this engineer decides a LLUMS case is still needed then they will raise this again. We are unable to raise a LLUMS case ourselves, this has to be done by an Openreach engineer. I did speak to Openreach about the last fault raised/closed and asked if it was still raised and they advised no and that we need to arrange another engineer visit.

I can understand why you are reluctant to go ahead with another engineer visit. I can monitor the fault ticket once the engineer has attended to make sure the engineer doesn't just close the ticket.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 78

I appreciate your help on this, but based on both engineers getting the same poor speeds when testing directly in the cab itself across multiple ports, and having swapped all of the equipment my side and having the same issues I don't see what another visit to my property is going to resolve until the issues in the cabinet itself can be rectified? I was hoping you would have some visibility of the LLUMS case OR raised internally against their previous visit and I am surprised that my specific fault isn't still open considering the engineers findings?

0 Likes

Message 64 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks for your reply.

No I was referring to a G.fast connection.  I can add to the notes for the engineer to replace the G.fast box.

0 Likes

Message 65 of 78

Hi Debbie,

Are you confusing my copper based GFast connection with a full-fibre based GPON connection with an ONT? The latter can only be replaced by Openreach, but in my case I have a copper phone line with a master socket.

See Set up your Wi-Fi Hub for Fibre 150/250 - TalkTalk Help & Support

I was using Openreach modem, but have now just swapped to your TalkTalk supplied Sagem 4370UKmodem. Both of these connect to a normal copper phone line like with FTTC they don't use full fibre in any way or need an engineer visit to swap? The TalkTalk 'Hub' is then installed behind either of these as per your help page above there.

0 Likes

Message 66 of 78

Hi coop3r

Apologies, this is the box connected to the wall, the one which was installed by Openreach. This can only be replaced by an engineer.

0 Likes

Message 67 of 78

Hi Debbie,

To rule out an issue with the Openreach GFast modem I can install the TalkTalk supplied GFast modem I have here already that's not been used? If the results are the same this would rule out any issues on the Openreach modem here without an engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 68 of 78

Hi coop3r

I think we should ask the engineer to replace the G.fast box as well as Openreach have closed the last fault ticket.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 69 of 78

Hi Debbie,

No, the master socket has been untouched since the original install. The GFast modem is connected here directly and all extension wiring to other sockets in the house is completely disconnected. There are no phone handsets connected or in use anywhere on this socket or anywhere else in the property. The master socket is also connected directly to the external cables out towards the cabinet. It is the first socket as the line enters the property.

The only works the engineers attempted on both visits was to lift and shift to an alternate port on the cabinet side, however this was aborted both times as the only other free port was also faulty, the second engineer did report there was a totally spare card installed in their kit, however this entire card was marked as faulty. It was at this point he called back to another OR department to get a LLUMS case to have a new card installed/have the faulty cards replaced and once this case was raised he left and said it would be repaired in due course but could not provide the case reference or any ETA (understandably).

0 Likes

Message 70 of 78

The fault appears to be on the G.fast box in the property. We will need to ask the engineer to change this.

0 Likes

Message 71 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thank you. We've completed some more tests.

Did the previous OR engineers complete any work on the master socket or Openreach socket?

0 Likes

Message 72 of 78

Hi Debbie,

TalkTalk Hub is now connected as requested.

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 73 of 78

Hi coop3r

Would it be ok to connect up a TalkTalk hub so we can run a line test with this router connected?

We can still escalate this to Openreach we just need to check what the line test shows with our router connected.

0 Likes

Message 74 of 78

Hi Debbie,

I never have used the TalkTalk hub, and have always used my own router, this is the same router I have been using for the last 2.5 years without issue.
I have two TalkTalk hubs (I was just sent a second one for some reason) that are still sat in their boxes.

I also have a TalkTalk Sagem GFast modem that was supplied when I migrated to TalkTalk but this has also never been used. I am still using the original Openreach supplied/branded ZTLink MT922 GFast modem as recommended by the Openreach engineer when they came to do the TalkTalk install as they suggested that the TalkTalk Sagem supplied GFast units cause more sync speed problems and are not as reliable as the Openreach supplied device.

If it will somehow smooth the process to prove that my router is not causing the problem I can install the TalkTalk hub until these issues are resolved, but as these devices, TalkTalk or my own, are not actually what's talking to the Openreach kit (The Openreach modem is doing the GFast part that's having issues with sync speed, and this was observed also with the Openreach handheld Exfo tester totally separate of any of the routers) it's fairly clear that which router is used behind the Openreach modem should not even be a consideration for this specific issue?

0 Likes

Message 75 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks for the additional information. Are you still using the TalkTalk WIFI hub?

0 Likes

Message 76 of 78

Hi Debbie,

The latest engineer attended Friday 22nd September this is when the LLUMS case was raised.

Just some additional information, following this visit if you now run an availability check for my address GFast is no longer available to order, it now shows as 'waiting list', presumable because Openreach have marked the remaining ports as faulty to prevent any more new provides onto the faulty cards. This of course matches up with the engineers findings after my visit.
This is the only way I have currently to track the LLUMS case to see if they have actually replaced the faulty hardware by hoping that the checker shows more ports become available again at some point.

The latest TalkTalk ticket reference for my issues is REP-13400903 which you will see has been closed (again) as working fine despite Openreach saying its still broken.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 77 of 78

Hi coop3r

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests are still detecting a potential fault. When did the last Openreach engineer attend?