cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Huge latency spikes and stream skipping

bkroessler
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

I have a Shadow remote PC (server is based in France, I am in London) that I primarily use for Gaming, 3D Modelling, and anything that requires more processing power than my dinky laptop. Lately it has been giving me outrageous spikes in latency after about 5-10min of use. It usually starts ~50ms, then jumps up to 200-400ms and stays there until I get frustrated and give up. Sometimes I don't even need to be doing anything, I'll just be looking at the desktop and the latency will skyrocket and stay there indefinitely. Imaged attached of an example session.

I tend to game in the evening from 2200 onward, last night latency was in the >200ms range so I tried sitting right next to the router with no change. Just did a little test-play session (0930-1000), and while my latency tracker was displaying distruptions my stream seemed to be running smoothly at <50ms. Could it be a time-of-day thing? The latency also tends to fluctuate, my readout shows consistent fluctuations, which is all the more baffling. 

I spoke with the Shadow Technicians and they said it's likely on the side of my ISP, rather than on their end. I am on a 5G wireless network with decent Mbps.

One thing that is prevalent however is that the stream tends to skip for 5-10 seconds every 5 minutes or so regardless of the latency or what I am doing. Very frustrating.

Any ideas?

latency.png
0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 2

Hello,

Does this happen every evening? If you run a speed test during the day and also when this happens what speeds are you seeing please?

Thanks

0 Likes