cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

ELDERLY RELATIVE WITH NO PHONE OR INTERNET SERVICE FOR 14 DAYS

Petersmith99
First Timer
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

My mother changed to talk talk fibre on 1st Feb 2023 . On 2nd Feb 2023 the service stopped and since then no phone nor internet.

Customer service are no help. 

My mother lives alone but they want her to access the new fibre socket in a small cupboard under the stairs. She cannot do this.

We have repeatedly asked for an engineer to attend site but they will not send one until they get my mother to run through their diagnostics script.

Meanwhile calls are redirected to her mobile, which has poor coverage.

How does this fit with Talk Talks policy on elderly and vulnerable customers ?

Pete
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry to hear this, the Openreach engineer at install should have made your mother aware of the location of the new router and discussed this prior to the installation. I'm sorry this has given a poor customer experience in this case. I do hope that all is working now and your mother has full access to internet and phone services.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Karl,

The engineer (Ben) did visit yesterday and worked to restore the internet and phone line which was not working.

Here is some background.

Prior to 1st Feb my mother was already a Talk Talk customer with phone line and internet over copper.

The copper line terminates in the hall on a master phone socket and the router is connected to this socket under the stairs.

The fibre engineer who installed the service on 1st Feb installed the fibre into a completely different room (Lounge) entering the outside wall behind the TV. He then plugged in the new fibre router and left.

Talk Talk then terminated the copper line.

This meant that all existing wireless devices were still connected to the old router and the phones were now connected to the old master socket. (ie dead).

When my mother initially spoke to talk talk they asked her to plug her phone handset into the green port on the new router. There was no green port as this was covered with a black sticker, hence she could not plug it in.

It seems that the engineer was in a hurry to install and leave and no tests were done using the customers phone handsets or wireless devices. My mother was not even aware that the SSID and password had changed.

From a quality control perspective there appears to be no checks by TalkTalk on the service they are installing.

From a customer service perspective there is no way an old lady can deal with this.

Pete
0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi Pete,

OK, please let me know how things are after the engineer has been.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 11

Hi Karl,

I called my mother last night , she assures me that the internet service is not working (Netflix times out) and that the land line is still dead (no dial tone).

She received a phone call from someone at TalkTalk yesterday who described themselves as a PA to the CEO and advise that an engineer will attend site between 3-6pm today. Lets see if they turn up and what they find.

Pete

Pete
0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

I've tested this now, and can see an internet connection with an assigned IP address. I've connected to the router and can see 2 Galaxy devices connected currently.

When was the last time you tested from the property or contacted your relative to verify if working or not ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

@Petersmith99 all support here is via this medium, you will not be called by staff.

If they request further information it may be from a PM, check the notification area at the top RHS of the page, click on your avatar to view.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi Karl, I have added the details you requested to my Personal Notes on my profile.

If this is the incorrect place please advise where on my profile I should log these details.

The mobile number shown is mine (ends ***605)

Please can you give me a call and advise how we can get this phone & internet working again.

Thanks Pete

Pete
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Petersmith99 

If you can add the affected phone number or account number to your profile, we can take a look and see what is happening.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Unless your mother has registered her special needs with TT via her online account she will not get any priority treatment.

Add her details to the Private Notes of your community profile and wait for a staff member to reply here.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Has Talktalk got a record of your mother's situation, @Petersmith99?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-Accessibility/ct-p/talktalk-accessibility

It might be helpful longterm if you have authority to act:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-Accessibility/ct-p/talktalk-accessibility

Or nominated user:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Nominated-user/ta-p/2205256

For immediate purposes you may need to pass some security questions to help your mother.

Have you added HER landline number to the Private Notes area of Personal Information in your profile? SAVE CHANGES.

It is important for staff to identify the correct account. 

Similar diagnostic checks may well be necessary to ascertain whether the faults are internal or external to the property, caused by equipment etc and in order to send out the correct engineer. Your mother will need to agree to potential charges:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes