cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Non TT Router stopped working

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hi all 

Not sure if they would admit it here, but have TT changed any settings recently? 

I've been quite happily using a Zyxel router set up as a bridge connected to TP Link WiFi router for the last 6 months. Never had any issues until this morning when I had no connection. Tried everything I could to get it going again to no avail. After reseting the TP link router it did work for about 2 minutes, but then stopped again. 

After going on live chat I was advised to use the TT supplied router which I am using now as its the only way I can get connected. I'd much rather be using my WiFi 6 enabled TP link tbh. Funny how the only way I can get online is with the TT kit.... 

Have they changed settings to make it harder to use 3rd party equipment? 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Well you have answered your own question. Using the TalkTalk router in Bridge mode is possible, but only at the end of a connection, not the beginning. If you put the TalkTalk router in Bridge mode and connect another device that way you won't get any internet connection at all.  So you need another modem if you want to carry on using your TP Link router. 

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

I'm not asking a different question. Surely bridge mode is bridge mode? In what way can the TT Router be set up in bridge mode? 

Yes I *was* using the Zyxel as a modem, with Cat5 cable from the LAN port into the WAN port on the TP link 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

You are now asking a different question. TalkTalk routers can be used in Bridge mode, but not in the way you seem to want. Are you using the Zyxel in modem mode?

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

The router is still functioning. I can connect to WiFi and change settings etc, just without Internet connection.

The reason I was asking is that I know they prevent using the TT Router in bridge mode (unless this has changed) 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

I imagine it is your third-party router which is at fault, TalkTalk do not have any magic buttons which they could use to disrupt it!