cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero with future fibre 65

Redriger
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I have future fibre 65 with the talk talk wifi hub 2. I’ve purchased a security device called a firewalla and in order for it to work best it wants to set the talktalk router to bridge mode so it does the routing. Reading through here it seems that the wifi hub 2 can’t be set in bridge mode, so I was curious if I purchased an eero (which is offered on all other future fibre packages), would I be able to replace my wifi hub 2 with it and set it to bridge mode? Many thanks

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Redriger
First Timer
Private Message
Message 1 of 7

Thank you so much, works exactly like you say. Learn something new every day! Thanks again.

Message 2 of 7

TalkTalk use DHCP for the WAN connection so you should be able to just plug it in. Once connected plug in a laptop to one of the ports to see if you have internet access assuming you don’t need to do anything else other than download the app and register the device.

Redriger
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 7

Oh wow thank you for your assistance, that is very eye opening. I honestly have no idea about how fibre infrastructure works but I assumed I required a talktalk compatible router/modem to plug into the ONT as it must require some form of authentication? But it doesn’t sound like it so I will give what you said a go.

I agree with you, I admittedly did assume the device did more than it does before purchase, it turns out I’ll need a wireless AP (if I remove the wifi hub2) as it doesn’t have wifi. It cost a small fortune in import fees so I’ll get it working :D. But thank you so much for your assistance. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Your ONT is effectively a fibre modem and you should be able to plug the wan port of the FireWalla in to the ONT directly.

if I’m honest the instructions are extremely poor and do not cover this aspect (I’m not going to read the whole manual) but even the basics seem lacking. It only mentions using ISP routers in bridge mode so I don’t think the instructions have kept up with the latest fibre services.

Not clear what you are hoping to achieve with this that you couldn’t with a hub 2. Yes it has lots of features but how many will you actually use. You cannot use an exiting router for your Wifi if it’s in bridge mode so how do you intend to provide Wifi to you household whilst the FireWalla is connected to your network. 

if you don’t use it in router mode you can install after your router as an appliance and keep you Wifi from your router but not sure how it will protect your Wifi network which would be after the applicance.

Redriger
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for your reply. Please find below the install guide. I’ve purchased the gold version which is the most full featured model. As I understand it (not a networking professional by any means) if I have it in any other mode other than router then the firewalla is essentially more of a monitoring device as it can be bypassed (I think!). 

https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046669734-Firewalla-Gold-Tutorial-Installation

I did consider an older router that supports bridging from eBay but the speed was only 10/100 so not ideal for future fibre speeds.

Apologies if I’ve missed something stupid but given that the gold was very pricey in and of itself and if it meant this got it was up and running as it’s supposed to be then I would consider it. Many thanks again 

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Yes you can set an Eero to Bridge mode, but I don't think you are thinking this through. Why would you buy a router to then turn it in to a modem

After looking at the Firewall device, it sells itself as a cybersecurity/firewall appliance for the family. It certainly is a fully featured device. What model did you buy and maybe explain your needs.

I cannot find where it says that your router should be in bridge mode unless I'm looking at the wrong device.