cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fibre Speed Test

Jimpy2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

I have Full Fibre 150 installed after a update to Eero router I decided to  do some speed tests (Sept 4 2024 @ 12:30hrs) first of all useing Ookla speed test app got between 78-97Mbps down 18-23 Mbps down but doing the test from the Eero app got constant readings of 150 Mbps down 29Mbps up can anyone explain such a massive difference, or is it just TalkTalk giving us the numbers we WANT to see, or is it  Ookla not working correctly although I did try the test useing different servers and got very similar numbers

Jimpy, Staffordshire
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

No problems, you are very welcome.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Morning,

Thanks for the update.

Michelle

Jimpy2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

Hi KeithFrench, I switched eero off checked all cables and switched on again a little better then checked phone settings  🤬🤬 all I can say is sorry !!  reset phone everything now working OK.

Should remember "Check everything BEFORE complaining" thank you all again for your help 🫣

Jimpy, Staffordshire

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Jimpy2 

Whilst the speeds that you are getting are not what you are expecting, identifying the root cause is not possible without some details about this phone & your eero network.

Then please answer these questions which I did suggest need consideration in my previous reply, so that I can help you:-

1. How many eeros do you have & which model are they (presumably eero 6)?
  2. Are you connecting from this device to which eero and what WiFi band (the eero app will tell you this)?

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Jimpy2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for that info keithFrench and I do understand what you are saying, but I am useing a samsung S23plus phone running latest software and have always seen similar speeds  as in eero app when useing the Ookla app

Jimpy, Staffordshire
0 Likes

Jimpy2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Since my last post I have tried 7/8 different apps Google ect and all are giving similar results 78-95 down 18-26 up while the speed out of eero app remains at 150 -29 something is definitely wrong !!!

Jimpy, Staffordshire
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Jimpy2 

You may be unsure of why these figures are different. The figure quoted in the app is the speed measured by the gateway eero (if you have more than one eero) coming directly from the ONT & fibre network.

The speed tests you do on a device via Ookla, speedtest.net or any other speed testing website are totally different.

These will include any losses across your wireless or wired (Ethernet) connections between that device & the eero. If wireless, these can also be further reduced by the WiFi band (2.4 or 5GHz) that your device is using. See the eero app to determine which band you are connected to on the eero. This may also reduce speeds if you have more than one eero & the device is not connected to the closest eero to your device (again see the app for this). If the specification of the wireless network adapter within your device is much older than the specification of the eero. they may not support speeds as high as 150Mbps, however, this is even more likely to be the case with packages such as the Full Fibre 500 & 900.

Keith

0 Likes