cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

my game server ports wont open?

m6ceb
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 23 of 23

Hi Everyone 🙂

Please can you help me, im going crazy lol

I am running a dedicated pc for a V-rising game server

I can access the server in game via my gaming pc via direct connection but no-one else can access it outside my network.

I have added the ports 9876-9877 via windows firewall and added the ports via my talk talk hub but when i check (canyouseeme.org) my ports remain closed.

ive tried factory reseting the router and manually turning off the port forward and re-applying them.

I have no clue why this isnt working, i have used this on my previous provider (sky) and worked flawlessly.

Any help would be massivly appreciated 🙂

Matt

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 23

Hi @m6ceb does this help? Assuming a device at 192.168.1.11 tries to send an IP packet to 97.100.36.36 which is the WAN IP address of the router. When it arrives back at the router from the internet, it will have a source IP address of 97.100.36.36 and a destination IP address also of 97.100.36.36. Therefore it knows it is a loopback packet & drops it.

NAT LoopbackNAT Loopback

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Thanks Keith I didn't realise what it meant (still don't lol) so completely went over my head appreciate all the work you did and the help. Very much appreciated

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 23

No problem, but if you look back at my posts I did point out about NAT loopback a couple of times & how to get around it for testing purposes.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 23
0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Thanks a lot Keith for all your help! I've finally figured it out!

I used my mobile phone as a hotspot so I was outside of my network and worked perfectly..

Something to do with NAT reflection not being supported but I can just play using the 192.168.1.32 and others can connect as normal.

Appreciate all your hard work but case solved 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 23

You're very welcome.

Keith

Message 7 of 23

Thanks so much Keith I really appreciate all the help you have offered and will await talktalk enabling my pm function:)

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 23

You do not have PMs enabled on your account as yet. I will ask TalkTalk to them for you, but I would guess that will not be until tomorrow now.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 23

I'll try & send you a PM then.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 23

Yes please Keith I have also tried disabling my windows defender and still no change so im a bit confused really 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 23

Hi @m6ceb 

Yes, they look OK. UDP works totally different to TCP. TCP requires a port to be listening before a session can be set up to it. UDP does not have such states. UDP works like this, "I'll send a packet to UDP port 9876, but I could not care less if you receive it or not"!

Assuming that you are not trying to test using the scenario I described in my previous post that falls foul of NAT loopback, then apart from a possible error with the PC's firewall rules you created the next step is Wireshark. I can send you a guide on how to use this & get a trace file which I will analyse for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

Hi Keith

Thanks for that, I have run that command on the pc that the game server is on and not sure how to interpret the results but does not say listening but has given a result.

Does this look ok to you?

thanks a lot for your help 🙂

ports.png
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 23

I said earlier, no port checking website is compatible with UDP and so will always report as closed.

When you test, can you do it via a smartphone? If so, disconnect it from the Wi-Fi and use mobile data. You won't be able to connect to it from a device connected to the router & then go out to the internet to your router's WAN IP address. That will time out as this is classed as NAT loopback traffic & is blocked by the router, as they consider it a security issue.

On your PC via the command prompt what do you get with this for each port in turn (it does take a short while to complete):-

netstat -a | find "9876"

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Hi Keith 🙂

I've just used the website can you see me .org

Not sure how else to check 😕

When in game on my gaming pc I can get onto the game server by direct 192.168.1.32 but when I find the server in the list and try and connect it times out and can't connect so I'm totally stumped 🙂

I also used CMD on my game server pc and typed ampinstmgr ports and says listening (the server is using cubecoders amp software on windows ..

Thanks so much for all your help 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 23

I have tested those two ports on my 5364 and they worked the first time. How exactly are you testing them?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 23

I'm just testing this now.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Sorry yes Sagecom fast 5364

0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

Hi Keith 🙂

Ive added the photo now so hopefully that works 🙂

the router is Sagecom CS 500001, 92848

Hope this help and again, i appreciate your time 🙂

port forward talktalk.png
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 23

You have either the Sagemcom F@ST 5364 or 5464, you can tell by pulling out the pull-up panel at the back and it is quoted on the label behind that.

There is something wrong with your attached png, it will not open.

The first and most obvious problem though is that port-checking websites are only compatible with TCP ports, not UDP ones. This means that they will always report closed. I do have my own way of testing them though.

Keith

Message 20 of 23

Hi Keith 🙂

Thanks so much for your help

The router is:

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100174

Not sure the model or where to find it, but its black and has serveral circles on the front that are orange/copper

sorry lol but not sure how to find the exact 🙂

UDP 9876-9877 and my PC with the game server on has the IP that i have reserved 192.168.1.32

Ill add the screenshot 🙂

I very much appreciate you taking the time to help 🙂

Matt

port forward talktalk.png
0 Likes