cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

PHONE ARRANGEMENTS AFTER CHANGE TO FULL FIBRE

hopelessLINEONE
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Currently on Fast Fibre and landline phone contracts with you, connected by copper to a street telegraph pole.  Master telephone in the hall with a wired extension phone in bedroom. Wireless phone and mobile signal not reliable in all rooms due to size of house and thickness of stone walls.   WIFI is acceptable for much of the house covered by the main router, with a secondary router connected by a pair of "powerline adapters" to the main router in order to fill a hole in coverage.  

Full Fibre due to be installed on 2 Nov. 

Q.  What happens to my landline telephone service, and how do I retain my landline telephone number,  please?  Can a telephone connection to emergency services be ensured in, say, a power cut, bearing in mind mobile signal is not reliable in all rooms in my house?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Morning,

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

hopelessLINEONE
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 7

Thanks F-G for that tip.  Much appreciated.  WIFIHub2 it must be.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

If you are provided with a WiFi Hub 2 then this has 4 ethernet ports and the telephone socket is under a sticker that you just need to remove and plug in your phone,  however if they give you an eero 6 then this only has only 2 ethernet ports and you will require an adaptor for the phone which effectively takes up the remaining port as 1 is needed for the ONT, I would just make sure that you request the Hub2.

Ready to learn something new today
0 Likes

hopelessLINEONE
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 7

Many thanks UKOLDGIT for those links; they go quite a long way to answering my questions.   Pity those links are not more obvious on the TT website.  It seems an ordinary phone can be plugged into the new router and hopefully will work "out of the box" and use my existing copper landline number.  Also that a 1 hour back-up for the router and phone could be provided to cover for power cuts if no mobile signal is available (as it isn't in some of my rooms rooms).  Just hope the new router has enough ethernet ports to connect my printer and desk PC.

Thanks too to Gliwmaeden2 for those helpful comments.  Will follow up.  Actually I haven't ordered anything; it was TT (working with CityFibre) that informed me by letter that a Full Fibre upgrade was planned for 2 Nov.  All I have done is agree the date & time.  It may be a bit naive but I would expect the upgrade at least to provide the same functionality as I have at the moment. 

Anyway, again thanks for the advice.  Will report again after the upgrade on 2nd Nov.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

@hopelessLINEONE, this needed to be ordered WITH your FTTP order.

Double check by phoning 03451 720088 or using Chat.

If you didn't order VOIP with your FTTP, you probably need to cancel the FTTP order and reorder to include VOIP.

Staff not on here before Monday, so time will be short!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

ukoldgit
Insightful One
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

From what I've read TalkTalk FTTP is data only, so looks like you'll have to keep the phone on the old land line.

I'm looking for an FTTP ISP's that offer VOIP and allows a phone to be used.

TalkTalk seem to be very quiet about what happens to your phone and to me looks like you'll have a major extra cost.

Also there has been rumours that at the end of 2024 BT want to do away with all copper lines and force you to use VOIP.

I'll be interested to see what TalkTalk says about this.

Just found this from 2021 so hopefully they have changed Using a landline home phone with Future Fibre - TalkTalk Help & Support

And just found this so looks like they have the option for VOIP you need to confirm with TalkTalk Digital Voice | What is Digital Voice | TalkTalk

UK Old Git
0 Likes