cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: About the new privacy laws

The General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR for short is a new, Europe-wide law that replaces the Data Protection Act 1998 in the UK. It is part of the wider package of reform to the privacy landscape that includes the forthcoming Data Protection Act. GDPR sets out requirements for how organisations will need to handle personal data from 25 May 2018 onwards and enhances individuals rights. GDPR will be in force until it's replaced by the new Data Protection Act. 

What about the new Data Protection Act  

Once it becomes law, the new Data Protection Act will replace GDPR and will add to and supplement what GDPR implemented.

What does all this mean for you?

You’ll have increased rights over, and access to, the information that companies hold about you, including:

• Right to access - A right to access personal data that a company holds about you;
  • Right to be forgotten - In certain circumstances, a right to request that your personal data be erased from a company’s business
  • Right to rectification - A right to have personal data that a company holds about you corrected;
  • Right to withdraw consent - Where you have consented to specific uses of your personal data, for instance with your marketing preferences, a right to withdraw your consent at any time;
  • Right to object to or restrict processing - In certain circumstances, a right to object to or request the restriction of a company’s processing of your personal data
  • Right to data portability – A right to receive certain personal data held about you by a company in a machine-readable format.

You may exercise these rights, free-of-charge and generally companies must fulfil your request within on month. For more information, checkout our guide Accessing information we hold about you

Good news for TalkTalk customers

These changes provide an opportunity for you to update your profile in My Account. Here, you can update your preferences so that we can keep you informed about the things that really matter to you. Stuff like staying safe online, avoiding scams, plus our latest offers and products. It won't take long. You can even choose how often you want to hear from us.

Our promise to you

* Privacy - Your details will not be given to third parties for their marketing

* Security - Your data will continue to be protected

* Choice - You set your preferences for how we get in touch

* Tailored - You tell us about what you want to hear about

Remember it's easy to set your preferences in My Account to tell us what you want to read about. Not registered? Don't worry - you just need your account number and TalkTalk phone number. If you've forgotten your details, we'll help with that too, just chat with a member of the team.

TalkTalk

about StephenF

Hey everyone, I'm your community manager and resident lego fanboy and not to mention a massive foodie :) I'm here to help keep the community ticking over each day and support our great members.

Read more of my blog posts
5 Comments
cobaltblue
Super Duper Contributor

Now I am really confused. The GDPR legislation which came into force this week, was it?, coincided with the barring of access to the talktalk.co.uk website without my first going through the OATH  cookie manager screen and clicking OK.

It also coincided with Thunderbird not working if password encryption was selected. This caused me massive stress as when I tried accessing my emails on webmail I was faced with the OATH nag screen.

Gondola has since replied to me that  " The Talktalk mail servers are part of the TalkTalk infrastructure and not provided by AoL. The only thing provided by AoL, an OATH brand, is the News & TV Guide content."

If this is the case why cannot I connect to talktalk.co.uk and from there get to Mail or the Community forum without any fuss and only be presented with the nag screen if I click on the News & TV Guide Tab. That would seem right and acceptable. Who keeps cookies on their computer these days? Even Kaspersky and Chrome provide the facility for in private browsing. 

0 Likes
ferguson
Community Star

@cobaltblue I am not seeing the "nagging" that you mention when I login to webmail, nor can I find a topic where Gondola has posted to you what you quoted. Perhaps this is better raised on the help forums rather than in this blog section?

0 Likes
Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team

Hi cobaltblue,

As ferguson has suggested, if you're still experincing problems can you start a thread in the appropriate help section and we'll be happy to help

Chris

0 Likes
GAZZA59
Conversation Starter

@Chris-TalkTalk

"As ferguson has suggested" ?

Just who/what IS this ferguson you speak of?

Could it have had anything to do with a message I received, when I went to access a "comment" made on the forum by maniben, that you  emailed me about, but, when I went to access it, was told ...

ACCESS DENIED, because I "do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Umm...Censorship TT?

0 Likes
ferguson
Community Star

Nope. Just removing posts that breach the community guidelines, which I suggested you read yourself in connection with some of the comments you made. Available on the home page, which should answer your other question also.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/

0 Likes

More like this