cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

A warning to those on "free" call boosts - always check your bills!

dawsont
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

I took out a Broadband + Landline contract with Talk Talk in July 2021 and renewed following their email recommendation to do so in June 2023.

Today, I log into my talk talk account to look at upgrade options and was shocked to see that I have been charged £16 per month on top of the standard broadband rate for an "unlimited uk calls boost" add on - looking through my bill history, this totals to £160 in additional charges for a "boost" that I have absolutley no use for.

During the renewal last year I specifically stated during the "choose your plan" process that voice calls were no longer required. This resulted in a small discount and I naturally assumed any phone related call boosts etc.. would expire along side voice functionality on the landline. At no point have I been notified that this "boost" was still active, nor that the cost had risen sharply from £0 to £16 per month after July 2023. 

After spending nearly an hour on the phone with Talk Talk to switch off said "boost" and explain the above, I have been given a credit note of just £5. Apparently, these "boosts" are independent of contract renewal - I agreed to the T&Cs during sign up and I should of called sooner to remove it.

Clearly nothing can be done in hindsight, so posting as a warning to others - what was once a "free" add on may now be costing you, regardless of contract changes since, so check often!

I will be looking at other providers once my contract expires and will be keeping a much closer eye on my account dashboard in the meantime.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi dawsont

We do produce a bill each month showing all additions, and also when a boost discount is coming to an end it will be noted on the bill.  

Sorry for any confusion.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

@dawsont, the free phone boost was always the exception rather than the rule - sometimes a sweetener at renewal etc, but always as a boost.

The core contract is only ever Broadband (and landline for old ADSL, FTTC, or VOIP) with TV for those who want it.

People can check for free things that are ongoing, like Caller Identity Display and Last Caller Barring.

Everything else is listed in Pricing. 

Boosts are not part of the core contract. They have a minimum commitment of one month, after which you can remove them at any time. Any discounts may not be available if you then wish to re-add the boost for another minimum one month - it's very much the luck of timing and being watchful for offers.

It does require customers to be proactive about studying bills and small print carefully. 

That boost has not been available for free for at least 18 months. It's still often discounted.

Thank you for highlighting the fact that customers need to actively remove the boost themselves or ask customer services to remove it when it is no longer needed. Particularly if you originally had it free, it might easily be overlooked. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes