cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband (Fibre 65) dropping out

Greyngrizzled
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

May have posted in wrong section 🙄

Hi, as per title my broadband keeps dropping out, 

Very often  early morning..full loss of signal and hub led flashing red.

Occasionally late night.

And been intermittent since Sunday  mostly from 14.00hrs -19.00hrs , no red light.

My laptop is ethernet hardwired, so it's not wi-fi, browser displays  'no internet connection',  and internet access icon disappears.

Phone shows wi-fi connection but there's no data transfer.

Thats happening  2-3-4 times an hour.

I've rebooted the hub, changed ethernet wires and the phone socket filter/adapter.

IP lease hasn't run out or reset, speed test is good,

Troubleshooter doesn't detect any issues and several times  BB has reconnected  before TS has had a chance to run fully.

help appreciated 

GNG

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi

Geolocation for an IP address has never been accurate and can show your location with some degree of error.  

My location will often show within about 30 miles from my location but is never totally accurate.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Greyngrizzled
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

It's been ok,  no disconnects but has slowed down a couple of times.

Checked the modem/ISP maintenance log and the ethernet connection #2 shows strings of  10 second disconnect / reconnect notifications .

Seems to have stopped.

Question... my ISP location has changed again , was showing as Enfield, Hitchin.. now Houghton Regis.

Keep getting security checks from ebay, paypal,.. your location has changed.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. How has the connection been over the last 48hrs?

Thanks

0 Likes

Greyngrizzled
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Apologies for the late reply, the notification didn't show until today.

The router was switched off for 45 minutes and took 2-3 minutes to reinstate a connection.

Not sure what testing I'm supposed to run- TT analytics have (conveniently) never shown a fault.

Currently have 12+ hours uninterrupted service..

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi Greyngrizzled,

Line test is passing and I've checked the real time data on the Openreach portal for the last few days and not showing any errors or non-available seconds. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for 30 minutes, then switch back on an retest 

Chris

0 Likes

Greyngrizzled
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Ok, you mention you have run a troubleshooter, not sure if you mean the networking troubleshooter on your computer,

Windows networking- no fault found 

or the service centre tests on the TalkTalk website, if you have not run the tests on the TalkTalk website it would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

about as much use as a chocolate teapot, 

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

yes fine and dandy

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

No, single socket with splitter/filter

Have you tried a factory reset of the router by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds.

yes- several times

The TalkTalk Support Team on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

If they did think this might be a problem with the router itself they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

Third router in 4 years

Thankyou Skynet-TX, 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

Ok, you mention you have run a troubleshooter, not sure if you mean the networking troubleshooter on your computer, or the service centre tests on the TalkTalk website, if you have not run the tests on the TalkTalk website it would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

Have you tried a factory reset of the router by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds.

The TalkTalk Support Team on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow. If they did think this might be a problem with the router itself they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

0 Likes

Greyngrizzled
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

yes,  

early mornings 5 AM-BC (before coffee) , total loss of interest connection LED flashing red, ethernet/wi-fi

current and really annoying- intermittent every 15-20 minutes......mid afternoon to  late evening (just now  again ) ,

white led, no connection on laptop via ethernet cable,

phone connected to wi-fi ..no data transfer.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Greyngrizzled,

So just to clarify, are you saying that sometimes when you lose connection you get a red light on the router, but other times the lights stay normal but you still can't access the internet ?, and this is with an ethernet wired connection ?

0 Likes