cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Connection drops same time every day - DHCP client stopped.

Luket92
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Hi,

Similar to other posts here, I'm experiencing internet disconnections across all devices at the same time every day.

Online chat/support has been a non-starter because their support script restricts them to asking me to turn my router off and on, and then performing a live test on the line, which shows no fault. A replacement router was sent out, but this also hasn't resolved the issue.

Router logs show the following, which is similar to others on this forum:

Date/Time Severity Module Message

25.03.2024 10:06:28InfoDHCPC
The WAN DHCP client IP address XX.X.XXX.XX
25.03.2024 10:06:24InfoDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) started
25.03.2024 10:06:21InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is up port 1
25.03.2024 10:05:52WarningDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) stopped
25.03.2024 10:05:52InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is down port 1

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi Debbie,

Yes, now should be fine. Internet is currently working though (drops are intermittent as in the logs below), so not sure what you'll find.

cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

Hi Luke

Can I run a line test now? (just checking as you mentioned work calls and I don't want to drop your connection)

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Hi Debbie. 

Yes, thanks for turning off Wifi optimisation. 

I don't have any wired devices connected, so I can't really comment.

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Hi Luke

Can I just check, are wired devices also dropping connection?

Did you see my Private Message I sent yesterday?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

More dropouts. Getting kicked off of a work call just as its starts really isn't very good.

Luket92_0-1714125999008.png

Luket92_1-1714126104163.png

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi Luke

I'm just sending you a Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Can't say I'm afraid. As you can see by the timestamps, it's long enough to boot me off a call but by the time that presents itself I don't have time to get to the router to inspect it

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the information. Did you notice if the light changed on the router at the same time?

Chris

0 Likes

Luket92
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 28

Hi Chris,

I had the following disconnects last night.

Date/Time Severity Module Message

22.04.2024 20:56:20InfoWIFI
Device <78:11:DC:68:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
Device <8C:CE:4E:C0:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
Device <34:3E:A4:1C:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
22.04.2024 20:56:19InfoWIFI
WiFi security settings have been successfully saved
22.04.2024 20:56:15InfoWIFI
A WiFi device <68:DB:F5:ED:x> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_VIDEO_5G])
22.04.2024 20:56:14InfoWIFI
A WiFi device <78:11:DC:68:x> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
22.04.2024 20:56:13InfoWIFI
22.04.2024 20:56:12InfoWIFI
Device <AC:84:C6:59:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
Device <8E:FE:9D:86:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
Device <78:11:DC:68:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
Device <E8:D5:2B:0E:x> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])
22.04.2024 20:56:11InfoWIFI

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi Luke,

Have you noticed any disconnections today, I can't see anything showing in the logs?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hi Chris,

The short answer is I'm not sure. 

As per the router log in the main post , I was definitely getting full connection drops in the beginning. However, after a new router and after unplugging a few of my cheap smart bulbs (on the basis that they're cheap devices and therefore the most likely culprits for throwing out electrical interference or disruptions to the network), I'm now spotting a different error in my logs during the connection dropout times, as given in the previous reply. 

This more recent error type appears to be more of a wireless connection issue. It's possible I've been having two different errors and after solving the first, the second is now clearer.

I don't used wired connection for any devices because the router isn't in a convenient place in the house to do so, so it's hard to test that long term.

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Hi Luke,

So the Internet connection isn't dropping, it's just the wireless connection to your devices?

Chris

Message 13 of 28

Hi Chris,

I've left this going for a short while and have been watching the router logs like a hawk to try and figure out what's going on.

Best I can see, I'm getting a 'Wifi security settings have been successfully saved' log entry which in turn kicks several wifi devices off the router for a 5-10 second period, and they then reconnect.

After some further searching around this form, customers have seen positive results from having the 'WiFi optimisation' switched off by TalkTalk. I assume this is an auto channel switching service (not sure why that wouldn't be a user-facing setting though). 

Would be possible for you to turn my 'WiFi optimisation' off and I can continue to track the connection status and see if that improves things?

Many thanks in advance, 

Luke

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the errors are zero all day other than around the time of the disconnections, so they increase at the time of the disconnections. Please let us know how you get on with the smart plugs

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Thanks. I don't have a landline connected so can't comment on that I'm afraid. Interesting that the errored seconds stop around the disconnect, I would expect an increase. Any idea why that might be?

A few of my smart plugs occasionally have connection issues so I'll remove them tonight and see if they're having any effect. Aside from that, I've not noticed any power or connection issues on anything else (aside from the global connection drop, as mentioned)

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

OK thanks. The line history just shows errored seconds and the downstream errored seconds are zero pretty much every hour except around  the time of the disconnections. Have you noticed any noise on your telephone line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Hi Chris,

No devices on timers that I can think of - though that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any. I have a few smart plugs/bulbs on the network - they aren't on timers but they may be polling their server at certain times, could that be an issue? Can I ask what the errors are? Perhaps I can help identify the causes.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Hi Luke,

If Openreach find a fault on their network then there will be no charge.

I've taken a look at the line history for the last few days and there appear to be a rise in errors at the time of the disconnections which could indicate interference on the line. Have you noticed if the disconnection occur at the same time that you switch on an electrical device or possibly an electrical device on a timer?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

I have to pay for an engineer to come out to diagnose a fault in your service? Doesn't quite add up to me.

Can you provide me some further information regarding the router logs I've posted? These match the faults that others on this forum have posted, so I would hope that means some diagnostics have been made on their faults and that (anonymised) information can be shared to streamline the process for everyone else.

It seems most logical to me that a daily dropout occuring around the same time each day is due to some technical/software issue, rather than a hardware fault, which would present more consistently. If you could provide any current theories on the fault, that'd be helpful.. I would certainly like to understand any hardware-related theories, if you feel an engineer visit at my expense is warranted.

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

Morning Luke,

I'm sorry to hear this. If the connection is still dropping at the test socket and with a different router then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please can you provide a few days availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we can book the visit for you. Could you also confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges.

Engineer charges - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes