cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Intermitent Wifi

sambrown963
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Over the past week or so I've been having intermittent problems with the Wifi connection to my Talktalk super router.

At seemingly random times throughout the day, my Wifi connection to all devices (PC, Laptop, Game console, phone, tablet) will stop and the Wifi network won't be visible. Sometimes every few minutes and sometimes it can be hours between disconnects with no pattern or trigger that I've been able to find.

The disconnects do not happen to any devices with a wired connection to the router and I've tried switching Wifi channels on both networks with no change to the problem. I've also tried alternating between disabling both networks and again, had zero impact on the problem.

This happens on both the 2.4 GHz network and the 5 GHz network, but they rarely both go down at the same time. Usually, all I have to do is switch to the other network to reconnect, but this means that while I work from home any calls I'm on when the network goes down will be dropped, which has happened more than a few times.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi sambrown963

Thank you. You are very welcome 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

That's perfect. I'll get the old router, plug and cables dispatched today.

Thanks again for a ll your help.

Message 3 of 17

Hi sambrown963

That's great news 🙂

Please can you just return the old router and cables in the returns bag, you don't need the box.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Debbie

The new router arrived yesterday afternoon. After some extended testing, I'm happy to confirm that the issue seems to be resolved and the connection is now completely stable with zero disconnects. 

I can get the faulty router and power supply sent back to you today, but can you please confirm if anything else need returning as I doubt I still have the original box after nearly 8 years?

Message 5 of 17
0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Thank you for that. I'll update you once the new router arrives.

Message 7 of 17

Hi sambrown963

Thanks for your reply.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 8 of 17

If you think that it could fix the issue, that would be great.

Message 9 of 17

Hi sambrown963

Would you like me to send a replacement router?

Message 10 of 17

Hi sambrown963

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule out a fault with your current router?

sambrown963
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 17

Since resetting the router to its factory default the issue seems to occurring less frequently, but still at least every few hours. The issue seems to be more pronounced when connected to the 2.4 GHz network with disconnects still occurring and it taking a few seconds for the network to show on any devices. The 5 GHz network seems to be performing better with only occasional lag spikes when on call applications like Teams and Zoom.

0 Likes

sambrown963
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 17

After restoring the router to its factory setting the issue seems to be less frequent, but still occurring, mostly when connected to the 2.4 GHz network. Connecting to the 5 GHz seems to be more stable and less prone to disconnects, but experiences frequent lag spikes when connecting to calls (tried on multiple devices and multiple programs, teams, zoom etc)

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

OK thanks, have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings? If not then could you give this a try - Restore your router to factory settings - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

Message 15 of 17

As the issue is intermittent and seemingly random I'm not always able to confirm the status of the lights on the router when the issue occurs. On a few occasions, I have been quick enough to check the lights seem to be behaving normally, even the Wifi light. I suspect this is because when one of the networks (either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz) goes down the other is still visible and working, unfortunately switching between the networks interrupts the connection and drops all Zoom and Teams calls that I am on for work purposes.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi sambrown963,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Line test is passing. Have you noticed if the light changes on the router when the connection drops?

Chris

0 Likes