cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor gaming connection for months. Online support is a joke

Dom1709
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

When it comes to gaming my Internet connection is terrible. Mainly during peak times and improves about 1am when most people like to be asleep. 

The tech support on the online chat is a waste of time. No matter how many times you tell them you've tried everything to improve your connection even to the point of having only 1 device connected and registered to the router they just say the connection is fine as you are getting over the minimum speed. When you mention ping spikes, packet loss and buffer bloat they don't even answer they just say the speed is fine. 

Am I within my rights to cancel my contract based on this service? As I saw someone else mention in another post if I tether my PC, PS5 or Xbox to my phone I get a far better connection. 

If I just want to stream Netflix it's ok but unfortunately I have 2 kids that want to game and not just sit on Netflix. 

DM
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Morning,

Ok, please can you run a few wired speed tests (the TalkTalk speed tester) when the speeds are good and also when the speeds drop and also run a wired ping and trace route at both times too. We can then ask our Network Team to take a look to see if they can identify any peak time issues.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

I'm not sure anyone is reading my posts. This has been going on for a long time. I've had multiple new routers and this still continues. Routers have been replaced, reset, power cycled hundreds of times generally daily. Also as stated previously I can game far more reliably with my console tethered to my phone via WiFi so that kind of rules out my consoles or their ability to game. The connection improves off peak, late at night or early hours which more than likely suggests congestion but it seems I just have to answer the same questions over and over again. 

I'm sure you can understand this is frustrating knowing it's been like it since signing up for a new term a year ago. 

DM
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 7

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Is your connection unstable or have you been rebooting the router? Are you also connected wired or wireless when this happens?

Thanks

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 4 of 7

What do your speed tests come back as? Is the connection improved via Ethernet or not?

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes

Dom1709
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

This has been going on for a long time. I've done speed tests, buffer bloat tests which always come back as grade G or H where as everyone I game with that do the same test get grades of B or C. I've tried Ethernet on the consoles and the PC. I've been sent new modems I've lost count how many. Tethering on my phone is better than my broadband which says it all really. 

DM
0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hi Dom1709,

Have you tried running a speed test within your My Account page. This will test your incoming and outgoing speed (Download/Upload) and report and issues on the line if any. This can also narrow down if the issue lies with the connection, Hub or Wireless - this said how is the gaming console connected to the internet?

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes