cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Internet disconnecting multiple times a day

georgehaguee
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

My internet keeps disconnecting multiple times a day. Specifically the connection to the internet will drop for anywhere between 1-10 mins at a time. The "INTERNET" light on the modem will go off during this time and the internet won't come back until this light goes on again. Occasionally if its off for a long time, this will cause the amber light to come on at the front of the router too. If its only a short disconnect of a couple minutes then the light will stay white. My devices connections to the router will always stay on during this time, so the device will stay connected to the router but there will be no internet connection. I reset our router the other day of my own accord and had spoken to the talktalk live chat after this as well to report it, the issue was fixed for 2 days and I had no connection drops however over the last couple of days they have come back and seem like they are becoming more frequent.

The issue is that this appears to be pretty random when it happens so I'm not sure how they are meant to diagnose what the problem is. I think I'd like to start by having a replacement router and modem installed in order to eliminate any hardware issues. Please let me know what talktalk can do here.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

I understand your point,  the only way to resolve the issue was through an Engineer visit, we provide the service to the test socket if anything past that point (with the exception of the router/hub) causes a fault it is unfortunately chargeable, we cant be held responsible for the wiring of your property,  The internal wiring is your responsibility, and by logging a fault and agreeing to the visit you are accepting the chance that a charge is applicable. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Arne

A simple "Sorry" at the end of your message isn't really much help here. We've been charged £65 whilst paying for your internet service already, for the openreach engineer to come out and fix an issue that no normal person would have any idea or capability to fix. How do you expect a normal customer of yours to have any idea or context to what "Star wiring" is, or know what it has to do with the internet problems you may be having? Are you suggesting that to solve this issue I should have opened up my master socket and rewired it myself without having the expertise to do so? How is any normal customer meant to have an issue with their internet fixed without having an engineer out to fix it. If this could not have been solved without the engineer coming out, then why on earth am I being charged for this? I'd like answers to these questions, specifically how else this problem was going to be fixed without you sending an engineer out to fix it.

Thanks

George

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

HI georgehaguee

Engineer report states :

"Engineer has identified the issue as Star wiring / bridge tap / teed cable.The engineer has fixed the issue by disconnecting the star wiring." 

Star wiring is classed as internal wiring and is the responsibility of the customer, any work completed after the test socket is chargeable 

You did accept potential charges before the booking, In this case the charge is valid. 

Sorry.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

The issue is resolved. The engineer did a line test and had to disconnect everything, reconnect and rewire our master socket, then go down to the box in the street and rewire it there as well. I’m clearly querying why I’ve been charged, not how to fix the issue anymore

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 17

Do you know if the fixes and repairs were external, or solely at your master socket, specifically the front faceplate? I did suggest you try at the test socket earlier in the thread, did you ever do this? 

0 Likes

georgehaguee
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 17

Hi chris

I just checked my bill for this month and I’ve been charged for the engineer visit. This is despite the engineer making repairs while she was here to fix the issue. I even have an email stating the engineer carried out repairs during the visit (attached). I didn’t think it was right anyway that you are charging your own customers extra fees for fixing issues that they ALREADY pay for, never mind the fact that you’re also charging it incorrectly in cases when the engineer actually has to fix something. It makes me suspect that you do this in all cases and hope the customer won’t notice, I’ve seen other threads on here with the same issues here. 

I want this charge removed immediately, the engineer had to make fixes and repairs so I should not be charged in this case.

03ABEC7F-A836-4C40-9410-E77944FB7088.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi George

I've booked the appointment for tomorrow morning - January 06 2023, AM (8am-1pm) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

OK, if you'd like us to book the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Chris

Yes please go ahead and arrange this, let me know what you need. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

OK thanks. To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Its just the one telephone socket we have, specifically a master socket 5c; the gfast iteration. The only connection to it is the modem which is connected via the modem port on the left. We don't have a telephone so we don't use the telephone port on the right.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Thanks for updating your profile. Line test is showing a lot of disconnections. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to the Openreach modem?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Chris

I've updated that information for you now.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi georgehaguee,

If you still need assistance can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

I have fibre 250 with the talk talk Wi-Fi hub, there’s an open reach modem in between the master socket and the router. we don’t use the phone line so I can’t tell you if the voice service is affected. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

You mention a modem, which device/s and service do you have, precisely? Have you noticed any issues with your voice service? Have you tried connecting at the test socket? 

0 Likes