cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor coverage

WickedWiccan
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Had some problems with my router and they sent me a replacement a couple of months back. Since then, I cannot connect to WiFi in my bedroom, where the previous router was fine (with 2 channels) . I have used a wifi extender, but plain does not work at all, either my devices drop the connection constantly or fail to connect. I have 2 channels set up and my WiFi camera and doorbell cannot connect to the 2.4ghz connection and my phone plain refuses. Getting frustrated now! 

Not really sure how to proceed. 

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for the PM and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi

I've sent you a PM.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Karl, have added this info now. Thanks! 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi @WickedWiccan 

Can you please add your home phone number or Account number to your Community Profile. 

I can then locate your details.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 20

I think I have found that one, it does not look good. I am just going to send you a PM about something.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

It's a very cheap one for amazon to be honest! Ubcwin Wifi Range Extender

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 20

Hi @WickedWiccan 

Before doing that, please can you give me the make & model of the extender, so I can see how it connects back to the router? It does not look like it has a  5GHz band & may therefore be rather old.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 8 of 20

Oh I see! I just assumed they should be close to one another in order to work! Should I move the extender to my bedroom?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 20

Hi @WickedWiccan 

Thanks for that info.

Is there any reason why they are both in the same room? From a WiFi reception point of view, you would normally have one upstairs & one downstairs, unless you only needed the router. They are currently both interfering with each other, resulting in very poor signal strength upstairs. Do you know the make & model number of the Sky extender, so I can see what sort of product that it is?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi, those 3 are not mine, just in the general region of my connection. The only ones that are mine are TALKTALK1E644B, TALKTALK1E644B2GIGS and my extender Skynet-ext

My router and extender are based within my living room and my PC is in my bedroom. The walls are brick. No other electrical equipment near them. I do have a reptile vivarium within the same room, but they are not close. No mirrors either

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 20

Hi @WickedWiccan 

Please can you confirm about these network names that are not in the list you supplied? Are any of these yours as well:-

1. TALKTALK054352 (I think). Your screenshots are all a bit small & get very blurred when I zoom in on them, making the text difficult to read. It is a Tenda product.
  2. TALKTALK4A50A5 - this is a Huawei router.
  3. TALKTALK59AD5A - this is another Sagemcom router.

If any of these are also yours, please can you supply their model numbers, particularly the Tenda one?

I need to understand roughly where the routers/extenders are within your property and where your PC is that took the screenshots. Plus what electrical equipment, fish tanks, and mirrors are near any of them and are any of these in cupboards? What type of internal walls do you have?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 20

Thanks @WickedWiccan I am investigating it now. I will get back to you later this morning.

Keith

0 Likes

WickedWiccan
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 20

My connections are TALKTALK1E644B, TALKTALK1E644B2GIGS and my extender is Skynet-ext

Please see attached screenshots, let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again!!!

CHANNELS2.pngCHANNELS1.pngCHANNELS3.pngAP2.pngAP1.pngSIGNAL1.pngSIGNAL2.pngSIGNAL3.png
0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, does this also affect devices which are connected wired?

Thanks

0 Likes

WickedWiccan
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 20

Hi, sorry my connection was completely out yesterday on all devices. I am back online and will post screenshots. Thanks again!

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello,

How are you getting on? Do you still need assistance with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 20

OK thanks for that, it is either the FAST 5364 or 5464 then.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

WickedWiccan
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 20

Not sure of make and model, it's a sagemcom, serial number n720634n001581

Thank you for your reply

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes