cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

3rd Party Router

ONTnonotagain
Team Player
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

Hi 1st post, 💬

I've been trying to get a 3rd party router to work direct from the ONT a CF one, having spent hours reading I know the issue is the inability to turn on the Vlan ID to 0 *zero*.

So I use the chat function to discuss turning off the Vlan as mine only works enabled on the Sagefast, after going through the motions with what I assume was really Ai with a human name? I get first to ap my 3rd party, then I get told that to switch off the Vlan will make my connection unstable before getting hit with the ultimate confidence booster "Could you explain what a Vlan ID is" 👀 it disconnected after my last reply which was polite enough and not one of those slam the phone down ones.

From all of this I deduct that TT doesn't want me to use a different router, 😡 so is it possible to turn off the Vlan or not at their end as suggested has happened with other users? If I'm stuck like this it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere when the contract ends, I didn't have any of this when I was on copper and if they insist on us having to use their equipment I find that poor as all ISP equipment is like anything free...functional, I've also noticed the bungled FW update recently where the limited advanced options have vanished which is another reason why I prefer my own gear. 🤗

It's also fair to say I've been with this company through 3 incantations that I can remember for a very long time and this is the first time I've had cause to have to have a moan. 

Any further help appreciated,

Onta. 

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

NathOnline
Team Player
Private Message
Message 1 of 46

So can a 3rd party router be used?

?

I'm deciding where to join. I have an Asus rt-ax82u would like to reuse this. 

Nath
0 Likes

Message 3 of 46

Cheers Chris 👍

0 Likes

Message 4 of 46

That's great news Onta, glad we got it sorted in the end 🙂

Chris

Message 5 of 46

Ignition sequence start...engines on...5.4.3.2...1 all engines running we have lift off! lift off!

All sorted now Chris and many thanks for the assist she rolled straight through the wizard & you have a confirmed kill now so know where exactly to go to the first time next time someone asks.

So in summary if you are searching for a solution to enable you to be able to use any 3rd party routers with the latest full fibre City Fibre ONT's with Vlan ID enabled look no further than here or you'll waste months of browsing and still not find a way through. If like me you prefer your own equipment and your Vlan ID is enabled on the Sagefast etc router/s you will need an intervention from TT HQ unless the 3rd party router can be set to Vlan ID 0 *zero* there is no other way.

So post a message here in the Full Fibre section (your own message not this one) and one of the team will find you and reply.

Roll the credits,

Executive Producer - Chris-TT

Executive Assistant - Mr Wrighty

Chief Cameraman   - Ferguson 😄

Cheers guys.

Onta.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 46
0 Likes

Message 7 of 46

Vlan id on the sage is off now so fingers crossed the 3rd party should get a connection, I'll be back lol 😆

0 Likes

Message 8 of 46

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed 🙂

0 Likes

Message 9 of 46

Stand by 😁

I'll try switching off the vlan id on the Sage first, then reset and wiz the 3rd party.

Should be back with you in about 30 minutes.

Onta.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 46

Yep, if it's rebooted it's probably worth trying the setup again now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 46

Thanks,

I've just experienced a re-boot but didn't want to play with settings until I heard from you again.

Would you say due to the reboot it's safe to try the set up again?

Onta.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 46

OK, I've changed the profile again, could you give it a couple of hours and then retest

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 46

Thanks for the information. I just changed the line profile. I'll change it back again to what it was originally. Could you give it a couple of hours and then retest 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 46

Hi Chris,

Just to confirm the 3rd party router after a full factory reset & direct to the ONT connection using the 3rd party set up wizard still doesn't find a connection, playing about in the IPTV/Wan area also does nothing and the router can't set a Vlan below 2, it detects that it's a dynamic connection but then spits the dummy out.

If you can say in the open what did you change on Friday? if you can't say I'll understand.

Tia,

Onta.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 46

Hi Onta,

Could you just confirm that it's still not working before we do anything further

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 46

I did use the word "jolly" after all. 😉

Message 17 of 46

I have since tested fully it from full reset (I posted it about 7 replies ago) and it's still the same, I'll wait til Chris comes back into the thread before doing anymore, basically I need the tagging turned off but if there is an essential reason for it being tagged then I'll just have to accept that & get the Ubi, Draytek, Asus catalogues out of which thanks to MrW the Ubi is favourite right now, I'd prefer to just be able to use any brand router though.

Thanks. p.s it wasn't any sort of clash at my end the guy's been helpful.

Onta.

Message 18 of 46

Did you go for a look and a read on the router site I listed earlier? routers store history info in memory outside of their own O/S, as I can see you are no novice you'll know that memory fills up and as it gets near capacity it either slows down as it's overwriting or grinds to a halt causing a hang, regularly clearing this memory keeps the router working at it's optimum.

Cloud back ups are encrypted but as I said before it just adds another place that we personally have no control over and another attack vector, read what Michael & people like Brian Krebs say about clouds, router accounts that call home etc I feel you have too much faith in technology right now, re-evaluate your stance on how you see things in the tech world, for a long time ios was thought to be the safe as houses bet, it's currently like a veggie colander, truth is it always was but Microsoft was seen as a better and easier target, same thing with anything droid so in reality the only thing ios has going for it is at least Apple do bother to update it for a reasonable period and make a proper attempt to ring fence things as best they can safety wise but as Ubi found out all it takes is one bad apple.

The UDM appears a better choice anyway even being the older model, better quad cpu just lacking wifi6 iirc so I think we can chalk that one up as a win on your part.

Take all of this in good faith it's not a stick contest and as I said I'm always willing to learn more about things as some things seem to be the thing to choose but are the exact reverse like hiding an ssid.

Go for a read, RouterSecurity.org it'll open your eyes some I assure you, and thank you for your assistance over the last few days, it is appreciated.

Time to wait for Chris tomorrow now.

Onta.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 46

Hi guys, I have been following these increasingly esoteric posts as they have emerged. And while you seem to be having a very jolly ding-dong, the OPs question remains: can you use your own router? The answer is: yes, of course you can. Subject to settings on the ONT which can only be adjusted at the ISP end. And you can no more replace an ONT for one of your own than a master phone socket, that is part of the external installation and connection to your property.

@ONTnonotagain 

Chris advised you that he had made a change, but you have yet to test your third-party router. I suggest you do so and we can take it from there.  

Message 20 of 46

Flushing a router is nonsense. I’ve run business routers for years without reboots other than for firmware upgrade. With many many users using them at the same time. Not once has a reboot been required to flush anything. If this somehow fixes something for you I would be looking at other reasons.

With regards backups cloud backups are encrypted and it is advisable to have an offsite backup but hopefully you never need one should a disaster happen. 

I use a UDM because the UDR was not available when I bought mine. Don’t forget forums attract people with problems few will got to a forum saying everything is honkey dory. Hence why you are here asking questions about a problem.

You are clearly happy with the way you run things and I have offered advice. We will leave it there.

0 Likes