cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

3rd Party Router

ONTnonotagain
Team Player
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

Hi 1st post, 💬

I've been trying to get a 3rd party router to work direct from the ONT a CF one, having spent hours reading I know the issue is the inability to turn on the Vlan ID to 0 *zero*.

So I use the chat function to discuss turning off the Vlan as mine only works enabled on the Sagefast, after going through the motions with what I assume was really Ai with a human name? I get first to ap my 3rd party, then I get told that to switch off the Vlan will make my connection unstable before getting hit with the ultimate confidence booster "Could you explain what a Vlan ID is" 👀 it disconnected after my last reply which was polite enough and not one of those slam the phone down ones.

From all of this I deduct that TT doesn't want me to use a different router, 😡 so is it possible to turn off the Vlan or not at their end as suggested has happened with other users? If I'm stuck like this it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere when the contract ends, I didn't have any of this when I was on copper and if they insist on us having to use their equipment I find that poor as all ISP equipment is like anything free...functional, I've also noticed the bungled FW update recently where the limited advanced options have vanished which is another reason why I prefer my own gear. 🤗

It's also fair to say I've been with this company through 3 incantations that I can remember for a very long time and this is the first time I've had cause to have to have a moan. 

Any further help appreciated,

Onta. 

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Message 41 of 46

Thanks Chris,

I'll keep an eye out for the disconnect and adjust the router settings if need be, they may adjust it automatically at your end anyway so it doesn't drop for long, I'll update you later as to how things progressed.

Onta.

Message 42 of 46

I'll make a change that will hopefully resolve the problem but it can take a few hours to take effect

Chris

Message 43 of 46

OK thanks, l'll take a look at this and get back to you

Chris

ONTnonotagain
Team Player
Private Message
Message 44 of 46

Hi Chris,

It's a City Fibre one.

I'm having to use the TT router atm and that only works with Vlan ID enabled, the 3rd party router doesn't allow me to set a Vlan of 0 and will only allow for a Vlan of 02 - 4095

I've been through the process of trying 101. 911 & a host of other suggested Vlan ID's & they all fail because they are the older fibre settings, the 3rd party is a TP Link one.

Onta.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 45 of 46

Hi ONTnonotagain,

Could I just ask, are you on a Openreach circuit or City Fibre?

Chris