cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

no home phone for a week

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

I received a call on new years eve, since then my landline has no dialling tone and when anyone tries to ring my landline it is saying I am on the phone. I have been told to remove the front off the box to try and see if I can put the phone connection straight into the wall socket. I am very nervous to try this as my router also goes into to this connection and I do not want o not be able to put the box back together and loose my internet connection. I have made calls, complained and have been told on three occasions that the complaints team will call me back and no attempts have been made to call me on any occasion

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi julesowl71,

Thanks for the update. Generally if the engineer has to replace the master socket to fix the problem then the visit isn't chargeable, but the engineers notes haven't come through yet so I can't check their report.

Please see About your auto compensation credit - TalkTalk Help & Support

I'm sorry to hear that you've decided to leave. We do have to run through diagnostics before we can arrange an engineer visit. Please note, if the customer is charged for the engineer visit this is only around 50% of the actual cost of the visit, we cover the rest. So arranging engineer visits when they are not required is in no-ones interest.

Chris

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 17

Hi

Just an update the engineer has been this morning, he has had to replace the master socket, will this be something I will get charged for? Does this class as something that I should get money back for on my bill, I am more annoyed that I had to wait for over 2 weeks for an engineer to be sent out, I feel that should be the customers decision, as long as I had been informed of the possible charges. Unfortunately I have now made the decision to move from Talk Talk, as apart from the help I have received on the community I have found the help (or lack of it) from customer service and the complaints department to be appalling. Thank You for your help, you are the only people that have provided me with any.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

I've booked the first available appointment - January 16 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 17

Can we please try and book for Monday morning, if not Tuesday morning, Just ideally need to know today especially if it is Monday so that I can ask my boss for the day I need off next week 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi julesowl71,

Most of the time we can get an appointment for next working day. Please let us know when you can be available and we'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 17

How long is the wait normally, nobody is off the next couple of weeks so would have to book the day off around the next available date you can book 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi julesowl71

Engineer charges would be applied to your next bill (if applicable) If the fault is found to be with Openreach maintained equipment then no charges would apply.

In regards to compensation, if the fault is with your own phone or internal wiring then auto compensation would not be applied.

This will be an engineer visit to the property. Please can you provide your availability AM and PM and we will arrange the first available visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 17

Hi

Yes please I don't really have any other option at this point, I assume this will be added to my next phone bill if there is a charge? I would be expecting some compo back anyway seen as I haven't had a working phone line for nearly 2 weeks?

Would the engineer require access to my property at this point as I will need to arrange time off work 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi julesowl71

Ok I can arrange an engineer visit. Just to advise, if the fault is with the handset or internal wiring then potential engineer charges can be applied. This is why we ask if you can test with a different phone at the test socket to rule this out.

Would you like me to go ahead and arrange an engineer visit?

Engineer charges

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 17

Hi

No I can't check with a neighbour or friend, I don't want to be disturbing my neighbours in the evening andmy friends live too far away. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the handset it is showing that it is connecting to the network. What do I have to do to get it looked at, another message I received on here says that the fault appears to be outside the house. I really need to have a working house phone and not just my mobile in case my parents need to contact me during the night. I probably won't hear my mobile ring like I would my house phone

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi

would you be able to test your current phone at a friend or neighbours socket to make sure the handset is working ok ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 17

I don't have another phone to try. I have checked the instructions for the master socket as someone else suggested. My master socket matches the picture without a line across it so it says that I shouldn't take off the front.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi julesowl71

The line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property.

Can I just check, have you tested with a different phone directly at the test socket?

0 Likes

julesowl71
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 17

I have updated my personal details 

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi julesowl71,

If you still need assistance can you please add your TalkTalk landline telephone number to your community profile we'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

They are wanting you to plug in at the test socket, @julesowl71.

Put mastersockets in the forum search engine to check which one you have and how to access it / put it back. 

If you have an engineer visit and they find a fault with your equipment rather than theirs, you will be charged for the visit. 

These tests are to reduce that possibility. 

There are no staff on here today. They will ask you to do these same tests....

For staff to identify your account, please add your Talktalk landline number in Personal Information in your Profile. SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff will respond during the week. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes