cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

DN360T / DN370T / DN372T Software update no longer working

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hi,

I recently replaced my DN370T box (after it packed up) with a DN372T, but noticed the software wasn't up to date. When attempting to update the software, I get a message saying "Sorry, an error occurred while trying to update your software. Please try again later. Download failed".

Having since tried a few other boxes, it now appears that none of them will update.

I have tried all three box types - DN360T / DN370T / DN372T (none of which have the latest software)

I have tried at another address (different ISP).

I have tried them in maintenance mode.

It looks like there is an issue with the update server, i.e. it's either refusing to serve the update files, or else the files aren't there any more to be served.

I appreciate these boxes are considered obsolete by TalkTalk, but they are still perfectly serviceable and I know many people use them.

If TalkTalk support are reading, it would be great if you could check / restore the update server such that we can keep using these boxes with the latest updates (less items going to land fill - enhance your environmental credentials).

If anybody else has any ideas, or access to the update files (to load via USB), that would be much appreciated. I suspect it may be possible to extract the software image from an up to date machine through the jtag header, but it's probably beyond my skills.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

hi , you replied to me earlier on my own thread  but i just Added this comment here as i saw someone else had a very similar issue and i wasn't alone .   it seems the software has been deliberately discontinued.   is there Any way you can find me a link to the software Somewhere  so i can access my STB ?   surely you or someone Must know a way of doing so . 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi, @pdbmn1 
Please start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.
To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"
Please also note that you should only post back on that thread and not start another on the same topic as multiple posts cause delay to you and others seeking help.
Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

This mirrors my situation almost exactly.

i'm going to be extremely unhappy if my replacement box is like the one you describe

0 Likes

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 22

@xyberlink The original issue reported has now been resolved - the software has been re-uploaded (for all three models) to a new server and the links in the su.tv.talktalk.net manifests have been updated accordingly. You may need to perform an "Internet/USB Recovery" (recordings can be kept) via the maintenance menu to update a box with old software on it, if the regular software update via the settings menu doesn't complete. See https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/Software-update-server-down-DN372T/td-p/3014045 for more information.

Better late than never? 😁

TalkTalk customer since June 2008 - Software Developer since 1991 - General Tech Expert

Message 5 of 22

@linkbe15 I see you have posted on 3 peoples posts moaning about the 4k box, but not started your own thread with issues you may have. 

Posting on other people's threads delays responses they may be waiting for from support staff and is seen as spamming the forum.

If you have an issue you wish addressed, please start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.
To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"

Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

linkbe15
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 22

My Youview box failed last week.

Spent far too long trying to get the agent simply to send me a new box as my DN37T had died. Eventually she agreed. But......beware! That box that you and I are used to is no longer available. They have sent me one a quarter of the size that ***will not record!!***  You have to buy your own own drive to connect via USB to make recordings. And.....it will only record ***one channel at a time!!!*** The old Youview box was dual channel so could record two programmes that were showing at the same time. And I think I read on another post that the new box does not have a fast-forward function....forcing you to watch adverts. No good to me as I hate wasting time watching stupid adverts. Also there is not an aerial OUT socket so I only have the option of aerial IN on the box....so cannot view anything on the TV itself. I don`t think the new box allows you to record one channel while watching another...so no chance of simply viewing another program choice on the TV because it has no signal...! So....I am paying for a TV service which no longer suits my needs. My choice: Cancel my Talktalk account with immediate effect (having agreed a new 18 month contract just days ago). Pay less per month for a faster service with a different provider -- and buy a cheap dual channel TV DVR set top box. 

I am very annoyed that the replacement box does not compare to the Youview box. That is not what I signed up for. AND I was not advised by the agent that encouraged me to sign up for another 18 months that the so-called replacement for the DN372T Youview box was NOT a like-for-like replacement.

I`ve been with TalkTalk for several years, but this situation leaves me with no option but to move on...

Message 7 of 22

Hi

I've emailed again to see if I can get an update.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 22

Thanks for the update Karl.

I wasn't expecting new / future updates for these boxes.

It was just about restoring the ability to apply the current / final version available to boxes that haven't yet received it.

I appreciate that TalkTalk aren't providing these boxes any more, but there is plenty of life left in them and it would be good to use them vs sending to landfill.

Did you manage to get a formal response from support? The servers that host the updates are still there / working, it's just the update files themselves that are missing / need restoring.

Thanks, Paul.

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 22

Hi

It does look as though no more software updates have been provided by youview for these legacy boxes, so we may not be able to provide any further or future software updates going forward, and these boxes are being phased out. We have ceased providing these boxes about 3 years ago now and do not replace any boxes that have failed.

If you are interested in one of the new 4K TV boxes, you can give our customer loyalty teams a call and discuss options with them, if this is something you are considering.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 22

It's been a couple of weeks now, hence thought I'd check in to see if you've heard anything from the product managers at all?

Hopefully no news is good news.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 22

Hi

I've reached out to our product managers for comment and will let you know as soon as I get a reply.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 22

Thanks for the info / update.

I appreciate the boxes aren't being maintained any more but it would be great if the existing update files could be restored. The file server appears to be there still (as it's able to return the 404 responses), hence if the files could be restored to it so the boxes can retrieve them, that would be fantastic.

I will remain hopeful.

Message 13 of 22

OK, so the newest of the boxes was last updated back in 2017. As that appears to be offered the current manufacturer software but a 2020 release version then I'd assume that's a base on which to patch later maintenance releases.

So, quite why the boxes are not updating will have to be investigated. TalkTalk Support will return from Monday onwards to put this issue to the Product stakeholders. But be prepared for a pretty obvious comment that the boxes are all obsolete and aren't maintained.

I'll be interested to find out who is taking responsibility for the YouView software updates.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 22

DN372T wise, I have two, which currently have the following software versions....

3.2.108 / 3.2.108

72.44.167 / 72.44.211

3849 / 3849

When the box attempts to update, it calls the update service passing the model number and the serial number (URL's posted previously). The response then indicates what is being offered for that box.

I suspect there are multiple update steps, and the first of those is getting the manufacturer software updated. They are on 72.44.x and need to get to 72.48.x before anything else.

I tried a factory reset - no difference - they still fail at the software update step.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

I'll talk about the DN372T only here. The Manufacturer software version is current and is 72.48.91 and this has been unchanged since 8 Jun 2020. The Component version you're capturing as 3.6.216 is not current and also dates from 8 Jun 2020. The Platform config you're capturing as 4726 is not current and dates from 19 Aug 2020.

The description you're showing me indicates a release date of 12 May 2020. That's not the most recent update.

So, what you're showing me suggests that the version information dated as 2020 is what's being presented by the DN372.  Is that when the DN372 was last updated? Do the versions I've given above match what you see on the settings screen?

It's entirely up to you but have you tried a factory reset to trigger a full update of Manufacturer software, Component software and Platform config?

0 Likes

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 22

Last post seems to have stuck, so fingers crossed for the DN372T info.

Essentially it's the same as the other two.

For the DN372T with a valid serial (omitted here)...

http://su.tv.talktalk.net/huawei/DN372T.01.P/001/standard/manifest.xml?serial=

Gives a response of...

<software-images>
<image type="Core Device Software">
<cds-version>72.48.91</cds-version>
<mc-version>4</mc-version>
<ps-version>3.6.216</ps-version>
<pc-version>4726</pc-version>
<api-version>3.2.0</api-version>
<url>
http://pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net/cds/from_huawei/PVR2_DN372T/Huawei_DN372T_B48SP91_Release_20200512/P...
</url>
</image>
</software-images>

Again it delivers the update URL, which results in a 404 response.

0 Likes

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 22

I've tried posting a reply twice and apparently they got removed for looking like spam, so trying a shorter version.

It looks to be the same server for the other boxes, just with different box names.

For the DN360T with a valid serial number (omitted here)...

http://su.tv.talktalk.net/huawei/DN360T.01.P/001/standard/manifest.xml?serial=

Gives a response of...

<software-images>
<cds-version>60.48.91</cds-version>
<ps-version>3.6.216</ps-version>
<pc-version>4726</pc-version>
<api-version>3.2.0</api-version>
<url>
http://pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net/cds/from_huawei/Lite_DN360T/Huawei_DN360T_B48SP91_Release_20200512/P...
</url>
</image>
</software-images>

As with the DN370T, it gets a valid response, with a link to the URL where the update file can be found. However, the update (.release) file doesn't exist, i.e. the advised link returns a 404 response.

If this posts ok, I will try adding another with the DN372T details.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

The DN370T has not been supported with software updates for a number of years now and is effectively obsolete. The DN360T and DN372T remain supported.

Message 19 of 22

The update software will definitely not exist because the DN370T is a totally obsolete box that was being taken out of service with customers and replaced with the DN360T or DN372T as appropriate. This is because the hardware was unable to support the later software functionality. i.e. the box was no longer capable of supporting YouView software upgrades.

Did you find a server for the DN372T?

0 Likes

xyberlink
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

I've read about YouView ceasing support. Not wanting to continue development shouldn't be a reason to stop the most recent updates being available though (or they could be released into the public domain).

That said, I believe this is a TalkTalk specific issue.

After not being able to update the TalkTalk boxes, I got hold of a BT YouView box and today updated that to the latest software with no trouble at all.

After a bit more digging, it seems the talktalk server the boxes connect to is still available / working....

The box makes a call to the following URL (model specific and you need to include a valid serial number for it to respond).....

http://su.tv.talktalk.net/huawei/DN370T.02.04.P/001/standard/manifest.xml?serial=

When called with a valid serial number, it responds with a link to the required update file....e.g.

<software-images>
<cds-version>70.45.159</cds-version>
<ps-version>3.3.156</ps-version>
<pc-version>4129</pc-version>
<api-version>3.1.5</api-version>
<url>
http://pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net/cds/from_huawei/PVR1_DN370T/Huawei_DN370T_B45SP159_Release_20180620/...
</url>
</image>
</software-images>

The issue, is the update file ("dn370t-upgrade-Cds70.45.159Mc4Ps3.3.156Pc4129Api3.1.5.P.release"), doesn't exist any more on that server.

Given that one talktalk server works, but the other doesn't, leaves me wondering if these files have been removed in error. If it's not possible to get the files back on the server, I'm wondering if they can be extracted from an up to date box, then copied to a USB stick to update other boxes through maintenance mode.

Paul.

0 Likes