cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Does TalkTalk Provide Any Kind of Decent TV Box Nowadays?

Janlara
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

I have just about had it with the utterly useless Netgem TV box which TT provided after the shutdown of the ITV hub. Although it had its issues, I didn't realise just how good the Huawei YouView box was - a Ferrari compared to Netgem's clapped out pedal bike.

My gripes with the Netgem are numerous, but, seriously, how can a box which has subtitles appearing and disappearing at random be considered even barely acceptable.  

I believe the only alternative from TT is the TV Hub. Can anyone tell me if this is in any way comparable to the Huawei YouView box, or is it just as bad as the Netgem.  If the latter is the case then, after 12 years with TT, sadly I will be switching once my contract is up.

10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thanks so much, Karl. Really appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi @Janlara 

I'll swap out the 4K box for a TV Hub.  I've ordered this for you now.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 11

Thanks, Karl. How do I get a TV Hub? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

You can do, but if you have a spare HDMI port on your TV you can leave them both connected.

If you don't have a spare port you can buy a switching HDMI box that you plug into the TV and it will then give you additional sockets. These can be found on Amazon or eBay quite cheaply. Get one that is 4k rated for future proofing.

Your Netgem box won't pick up normal channels without an aerial connection but will work for catch-up apps and those additional channels TalkTalk provide for this box.

This together with @Karl-TalkTalk advice re the TV hub will hopefully help you make an informed decision on what you wish to do

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 6 of 11

Hi

You can use the TV Hub on Fibre 65.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Message 7 of 11

Thanks, Karl, that is helpful. I have Fibre 65, does that mean I can't use the TV Hub? I really don't need full fibre for anything else.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Thanks, fr8ys, that's really helpful. If I use my old box and the Netgem together does  that just entail switching over the cables from one to the other? Bit of a performance just to watch ITVX but it is doable I suppose.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi Janlara,

You can see the comparison of the TV Boxes at the link below.  We now only issue the TV Hub going forward,

Compare Our TalkTalk TV Boxes  

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

The TV hub is based on YouView so you would be familiar with it's operation as it works the same as the old boxes.

It does not record though.

If you still have your old box you can use this and the Netgem together and only use Netgem for things where the YouView box does not work

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).