cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Any recommendations for a VPN

collectors
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi, i would like to have my home on a VPN for everything. Is this possible & any recommendations for a VPN service.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

@ferguson wrote:

@martswain wrote:

TT routers are not capable of having VPN software loaded, so you'll have to get a third party router if you want to go that route.

You don't need to have VPN via your router, there are many device specific options.

@ferguson  just how is the OP going to persuade the renters to install a VPN on all their individual devices that are running the apps of dubious legality ? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

It is your router that is assigned an 'external' IP address to connect to the internet, so all of the devices that connect to the internet via your router will appear as that one single IP when viewed by anyone external.

Your devices all have a separate 'internal' IP addresses so that they can connect to your router within your own home network, but all traffic out to the internet will be coming from that one IP address assigned to your router.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

Hey, renting rooms is clearly at your own risk.

0 Likes

collectors
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the reply's. Out of curiosity, is it the item in the house "IE: computer/Amazon fire stick/ Amazon echo." that has the IP address or is it the router for the house. Which one is traceable. Or, are all items traceable.?? 
On the part of "TalkTalk residential services are not intended to be sub-contracted". This is a very odd point. I rent rooms in my own home, yet the government dont class this as a business when at your own home.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

@martswain wrote:

TT routers are not capable of having VPN software loaded, so you'll have to get a third party router if you want to go that route.

You don't need to have VPN via your router, there are many device specific options.

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

Message 7 of 11

It seems to me that if you are the account holder and others are using your service then you have the responsibility to tell them what they can, or cannot do. Any comeback will be entirely on you. And TalkTalk residential services are not intended to be sub-contracted.

Mr Bear 1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

The right VPN might keep the copyright holders off your back. It might also stop your lodgers from accessing streaming services as most of them are well aware of VPNs being used to circumvent geographic restrictions.  To implement one, I suspect that you'll have to set it up in the router which may cause problems if anyone is already using one for working from home.

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the reply. It was a bit more about being traceable. I rent rooms out to lodgers in my home & it appears that some have had what seems to be not quite legal TV download/streaming facility's for watching  Sky & other TV channels for a very reduced price. Now i dont do this, but i cant say what others do when they share my Wi-Fi as part of there lodgings. I have been told a VPN might solve a problem.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi @collectors,

I don't have any specific recommendations I'm afraid, but all I'd say is make sure you really do need a VPN, don't fall for the adverts that are really annoying that say things like "if you don't use a VPN it is like walking around a shop flashing your card details at everyone", because that is just not true. Also using a VPN will (in most cases) slow down your internet experience as you are forcing all of your traffic to go through the VPN provider, rather than just going out to the internet directly.

Just wanted to mention this in case you were just basing this on the annoying adverts that are around at the moment. But obviously if you are 'technical' and you have genuine reasons for wanting a VPN then please ignore my message !!