cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband Speed Gone

lunsfordc
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I've never had really fast broadband because of the distance to the local cabinet, and it being mostly made up of aluminium cabling.   But I've learned to exist with the  15-18 Mbps.    In the last 3 days it's continually dropped in speed and today I'm running a fast  1.2 Mbps.    I'm unable to do anything.   I have rebooted the router several times.   I've swapped the router for another (same model).   I've turned off all devices using the Wifi and now only testing via ethernet directly into the router.    I've also connected a different laptop to the router via ethernet.    Getting same low speeds regardless of what I do.

I've called the Helpdesk and that was completely frustrating as they insist there is no problem.   They see my speed at a consistent above 15Mbps.  But also say they are unable to do anything else for me because of their readings.   They insist on sending me a new router.......which is not the problem but they won't hear of it.  

I believe there's a problem on the line or the cabinet.  

Can I please get an OCE's assistance.   I've relied on you in the past and it seems it's the only way to get some real help.

Thanking you in advance,

Carlo

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi Carlo

Ahh thank you 🙂

I'm so glad the connection has remained stable. If you do experience any further issues then please let me know.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

lunsfordc
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Debbie,

I have a spare router hooked up for the last 24+ hours and it has stayed steady with readings over 18mbps.    So it looks like it was my old router that was the problem.    As I mentioned in my first posting the helpdesk insisted on sending me a new router.  At that time I was convinced it had nothing to do with my router......so I'll eat my words.   

As I'm expecting delivery of the new router tomorrow there's no need to send another, but I thank you for offering.

I am much appreciative of all your assistance.   I will be filling out the survey/questionnaire and submitting straight away.

I can't thank you enough,

Carlo  

Message 3 of 9

Hi Carlo

How are you getting on, would you like me to send out a router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi Carlo

I'm really sorry about this.

Would you like me to send a new router?

0 Likes

lunsfordc
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Ooooops   I think I spoke too fast.

Overnight the speed has dropped to 7.47/0.07mbps  and continues to drop as I type.

I've swapped out everything I can think of, ie., cables and devices, and only down to barebones PC connected via ethernet.  Am about to try another router (after leaving a 30 minute disconnect.)    Will post later.

Carlo

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi lunsfordc

I'm so glad to hear that the speed has increased 🙂

A 30 minute power down of the router starts a new session and this can often increase the throughput speed if it's dropped.

The line was already in sync at just under 20mb, the power down of the router increased the speeds to the router, hope that helps.

If you do experience any further issues then please let me know.

I have also sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again

Debbie

0 Likes

lunsfordc
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

OCE Debbie,

Well, I'm at a loss for words.   Router turned off for 30 mins. and all looks well since.   I've taken readings every 15 mins or so because previously when I rebooted the router it would come up with speeds that were more "normal" for me,  between 15 and 18mbps.   Then after 5 mins or so it would start to degrade until it reached rock bottom.    Now with the 30 off period the line has come back up very stable and readings of 18-19mbps each time I check.  

What is the difference with the 30 turn off period compared to a normal router reboot?   Does the 30 off period "reboot" the line as well?

Please tell me for future use.   That aside I am forever grateful to you ........and all the other OCEs.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi lunsfordc

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear and the line is in sync at just under 20mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

0 Likes