cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband below guaranteed minimum; chat support not helpful

shelmec
Team Player
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Current VDSL has dropped from ~60Mbps down about 8 weeks ago to 39Mbps this morning (after a remote reset at around 2am). I don't use TT supplied router, as I have some networking knowledge and work with a Draytek load balancing router. 2nd line shares last mile drop cable and is TTBusiness syncing at 60Mb.

Guaranteed minimum is 43.xMb (think x=7), and it's below this at 39Mb, so I'm looking for a fix, not to be told I have to connect the TT router.

This has happened in the past. According to openreach, there are some issues to the cabinet and no free lines or fibre ports, so they turn up, connect their diagnostics, say "it's not right", go to the cabinet and reset the fibre port. Then we're good for another 9-12+ months.

I'm looking for someone who "can" to raise a request on openreach to reset the fibre port (and DSM is this won't be done by fibre reset) without needing to test the line to the house. It's happened before about 8 times in the last 16 years, and I just want someone to press the reset switch (or switch it off and on again :))

Yes, I'm direct connected via GBit ethernet to the router, and nothing has changed in the last 8 months (since the storm took out the power). This is intensely irritating, and I just want openreach to do a little thing. And router firmware and modem code is all up to date.

I guess if we can't, I'm out of contract at the end of the month, so....

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Chris

Thanks for confirming your details.

The engineer visit has been arranged for 16/08 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Chris

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Yes please. We'll have to, as there no other way....

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

To arrange for DLM to be checked and reset we will have to arrange an Openreach engineer visit. Would you like me to arrange this visit?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

I use my own router which supports multiple WAN connections in load balancing mode. I have a second line to the house with TTBusiness as line 2.

So the TT line goes first to a VDSL2 modem, and then that connects via ethernet to the router.

The router has no modems inbuilt.

Hope that's clearer?

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion, you have both a modem and a router connected at the same time?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Sorry! Only partly answered....

There's no noise on dialtone on the line (but we rarely use the landline these days).

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Morning,

My normal topology is connected -> VDSL line from master socket 1 to Modem, then Gbit Modem to router.

So yes, router is connected but I don't use the TT one (and never have).

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Morning,

Ok thank you for confirming this. Is the router currently connected to the test socket at the moment? Is there any noise on the voice service?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. Have tested with Modem and Router, both reporting under 40Mbit. SNR on the line reported by the modem this morning is 16 up and down, so there's some noise somewhere (I've been told this can be interference from another line) which has caused the fibre port to drop sync speeds.
Master socket is the latest (5c Mk4) with a test socket.

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line now which is clear. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with an alternative router then this would require an engineer visit to the property to investigate why the speed has dropped. Does the main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi @shelmec,

The Support Team here probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes