cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband keeps dropping and phone line crackly

Lindaneedshelp
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 18

Since yesterday my internet connection keeps dropping and the light on the router flashes red. I dont normally use the phone line but today plugged in phone and the crackle on the line is really bad. Connection test on talktalk page says my line is fine but if that is true, why is the router blinking red and my connection dropping all the time? Speed today when broadband was connecting was also slower than normal. (both wifi and wired connections)

Thanks for any help/tips

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this. I'm just sending you a short survey via a PM now.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

It now seems to be back to what it usually is, running between 45Mbps and 50Mbps. 

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Linda

That's great. In regards to the BB speed, please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

Message 4 of 18

Have jsut received a text from open Reach that they have resolved the line issue, the phone certainly seems to be free of noise, however broadband is now connecting at rates between 5Mbps and 16Mbps. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hello,

Thanks for the PM. The line tests are now detecting a potential external line fault so I've escalated this over to Openreach to complete an external line investigation. We'll check the fault again tomorrow for any additional updates.

Thanks

Message 6 of 18

Hi Lindaneedshelp

I have sent you another Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Internet totally gone now, not been able to connect for the last hour at all. Phone still appears to be working but very loud on line now

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi Lindaneedshelp

Ok no problem. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Yes please, I need broadband to work. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi Lindaneedshelp

Thank you. Noise on the line can also affect the BB connection so we will have to investigate this first.

The next step will be an Openreach engineer visit to the property, would you like me to arrange this visit?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Yes, plugged phone directly into socket, nothing else, line crackled. 

Message 12 of 18

Hi Lindaneedshelp

Ok, thanks for confirming.

Was the router removed from the microfilter/line?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi Debbie

I unfortunately dont have a corded handset, but plugged the phone i do have into the test socket and the line is still crackly. 

I also tried using a different filter to connect phone and hub to socket but no change. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 18

Hi Lindaneedshelp

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests are clear no faults detected.

Can I just check, is the noise on the line still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Looks like it has now registered. Just wait for staff to reach your thread and reply before following up further. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 16 of 18

Thanks, already added number to profile, seen that in a few other posts while searching for help 🙂 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Add the Talktalk landline number in the profile area for staff to identify your account, @Lindaneedshelp.

Go via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information.  SAVE CHANGES. 

If unsure of the number, check via Service Status Dashboard  / Visit My Connection (your number will show at the top of the page, once loaded) or dial 17070 from the phone.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.