cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband very slow after line fixed

jcnporter
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Hi,

My internet and phone stopped a few days ago due to a line fault. This was fixed by BT two days ago now. My connection speed was 1Mbps after the fix and and hasn't improved since. The router has been switched off for an hour and it made no difference.

Before the fix I was getting over 50 Mbps.

I have a replacement router from yourselves to test another ongoing issue with the connection being dropped regularly - I have tried the replacement router and the connection is still 1Mbps.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hello,

Thanks for confirming and I'm glad to hear that the fault has been resolved. I'm just sending you a Community Survey via PM.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi,

The engineer fixed the fault and with the replacement router, download speed is around 55-60Mbps at the moment, so very happy with it, thanks!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 17

Morning,

I can see that Openreach have cleared a fault. How is your connection at the moment? Is everything now working ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi jcnporter

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 08/06 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi jcnporter

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Yes, I'd like to go ahead with this.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Morning,

If you've tested with 2 different routers directly at the test socket for at least 48hrs then we can arrange an engineer visit. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi,

When I go into the router dashboard, the upstream line rate is 9999 kbps, downstream is 1940. These figures have been exactly the same for the last few days. Shouldn't they be more variable? Is the line rate being limited to these levels?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi,

The router has been left on for a day or two and also rebooted. I have plugged it in to the test socket and have also tried the new router that was sent to me to test for another fault. None of this has made any difference to the speed, which is now even slower, 0.5Mbps. Along with the line fault, this has made the internet unusable for nearly a week now.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi jcnporter

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see that the sync speed is low.

Is the router connected at the test socket at the moment? Has the router been rebooted or has it been left on?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi,

Yes, I'm on Fibre 65 with a TT home hub, connected the microfilter to the test socket, speeds still the same, measured via the service centre.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 17

I would expect the noise margins to be in the 6 to 9 dB range so something is obviously amiss with the line or equipment.

Have you run a  test via Service Centre ?

Assuming you are on Fibre 65 just using a TT router or HUB  (no separate modem) and you have a 2 outlet filtered faceplate master socket, remove the faceplate and connect a microfilter to the test socket then just the router to the filter outlet and see if the connection improves.

That will eliminate a fault with the faceplate or any internal wiring in your home.

If there is still an issue that would suggest a line or fibre cabinet issue as you have tested with two different routers.

Message 13 of 17

Hi,

Phone is working fine, upstream line rate is 9999 kb/s, downstream 1940 kb/s, upstream noise safety coefficient is 11.1 dB, downstream is 35.1

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 17

@jcnporter what are the downstream/upstream line rates and noise margins from the router dashboard ?

Is your phone working normally and does dialing 17070 return the correct number ?

jcnporter
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 17

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, connection is VDSL

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

@jcnporter  when you log in to the router dashboard is the connection type showing as ADSL or VDSL ?

If it is ADSL then whoever did the work has not reconnected you to the fibre cabinet.