cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Chromebook keeps dropping off WiFi

MicheleN
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

When everyone in the house is accessing the WiFi then my Chromebook keeps getting thrown off. An eero engineer on Twitter said the following-

I checked the logs and the eero does not appear to be losing internet, but it keeps getting a short lease on the IP address it is given from the modem/ISP, which is forcing it to renew that lease every few minutes. The way this is supposed to work is when a device is assigned an IP address it is given a new lease, typically about 8 hours. From what we are seeing it is given the same lease with the same expiration time (900 seconds) and it is just about expired, so renewals keep happening (renewals typically happen at 1/2 of the remaining time on a lease)
I have no idea, that would be a setting on either the modem or on the ISP side, we have no access to that over here at eero. I would talk to TalkTalk about it and let them know what we found. If this was my personal setup the first thing I would do is unplug the modem from power for at least 3 minutes to do a reset on it.

I managed to get on the chat with TalkTalk and they are sending out an additional eero but I don't think it will solve the problem, or will it? I thought that there wouldn't be any deadzones or limit to devices but it's always the Chromebook that keeps getting thrown off, none of our other devices experience this. Any advice please? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

I can't see how a DHCP lease renewal on the ISP network would affect just one device. Its DHCP lease would come from the totally separate DHCP server within the Eero, or have I misunderstood what you have said?

You correctly said that when the lease time is at 50%, the client will request an extension, which it should automatically get renewed, but in that case, the connection will continue seamlessly.

I think it's far more likely a WiFi signal quality issue is the problem here. If you want my help to check this out, please let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes