cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Connection slow and keeps dropping

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

My connection is usually not great and never has been, but for the past week it's been particularly bad. It's incredibly slow and keeps dropping, and I can't have more than one device connected at the same time without it being absolutely unusable. 

To be honest ever since I've been with TalkTalk the connection just hasn't been good enough, especially as I'm only one person living in a one bedroom flat so I shouldn't have trouble using two or more devices at once. Is there any way to actually improve this? If not, I'll need to change provider next time it's possible to do so. I'd rather pay more and be able to rely on the service I'm paying for. 

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this and please let us know if you would like us to look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 16

@CharlotteLV, did you ever run the tests wired? Not wi-fi.

Staff need to assess where any faults lie. There's no point moving to another provider that's going to use the same line if there's still a problem on it.

The only way to avoid a problem with the line if you don't want to address the issue is by going for different infrastructure: Virgin's network or Full Fibre to the Premises (totally different, with whichever....).

Everybody else will be using the same Openreach network for FTTC / Fast Broadband or the equivalent to what you are currently on, and therefore you are highly likely to hit the same issues wherever you go with this. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 3 of 16

Hi Michelle, apologies for the delay, I've thought about this and decided to change providers at the next opportunity. This is my second router after the first one failed, and the service from TalkTalk has been fraught with issues from the start, so I don't have much faith that this will be resolved. The first adapter they sent blew up in the socket, the first router stopped working, I can't make or access an online account to see my bills, my internet connection is so slow that it's unusable a lot of the time, and to add insult to injury the prices have been hiked to match the other providers on the market. Hopefully if I spend my money with one of these providers instead, I'll actually receive the service I'm paying for. Thank you for trying to help but I think it's time for me to move onto something different. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. The speed test results still look low. Just to confirm, did you run this last test wired or wireless? Do you have an alternative router that you could test with please?

Thanks

0 Likes

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 16

Good afternoon, 

I switched the router off at the wall for over an hour, and these are the results afterwards:

Speedtest1.png

Speedtest2.png

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Message 7 of 16

Morning,

Thank you. The throughput speeds do look very low based upon the sync speed. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test please, as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 16

Hi Chris, I've attached the results of 2 speed tests done last night around 30 minutes apart. 

First speed test.pngSecond speed test.png
0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

OK thanks. The sync speed looks fine and the error count is low. Could you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on Speed Check | Test Broadband Connection | TalkTalk

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 10 of 16

Hi Chris, my account number is already in the private notes.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi Charlotte,

If you don't know you phone number could you add your account number to the private notes section of your community profile

Chris

0 Likes

CharlotteLV
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 16

Hi Michelle, I don't know my landline number and have never used it. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion, could you add your landline/home phone number please.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Hi Michelle, thank you for your message. I have now added my phone number to my profile. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes