cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Firmware Update

raptor78
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

Dear Forum,

I am still on version 1.05t, could someone please update it? I am having some connectivity problems with Google Nest and would like to see if this helps. Many thanks!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 14

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

There seems to have been some confusion here. I had not sent @raptor78 my guide, as he said that he had already used my recommended analyser NetSpot, but it turns out that he does not know how to use it enough, to get me the screenshots that I need to see. That is fair enough, so I have now sent him my guide.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 14

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

@raptor78 did send me some screenshots but there were only two of the same view,  not enough to judge anything. I am now waiting on some more.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 14

Hi raptor78

I can see that @KeithFrench has offered to help. Keith provides really good advice on improving wireless performance.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 14

Why not just PM me (to protect your privacy) these screenshots below from Netspot in the areas that are bad & I'll check that & make recommendations accordingly:-

• Networks around you (AP view) – please ensure that all networks are selected and that all of your SSIDs are shown in the window. Make use of sorting the SSID column, the vertical scrollbar to achieve this. If you have any Wi-Fi extenders, or printers broadcasting networks, then I need to see these as well.
  • Signal strength graph – please highlight one network per band in the AP list first. Let this run for 5 mins before taking each screenshot.
  • Channels 2.4GHz – please highlight each network in the 2.4GHz band in the AP list and then take as many screenshots as you have networks in this band.
  • Channels 5GHz – please highlight each network in the 5GHz band in the AP list and then take as many screenshots as you have networks in this band.

I will need to know which network name(s) (SSIDs) is/are yours.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

Message 6 of 14

I have tried Netspot and used an uncluttered channel, tried many other channels too. The setup is quite simple here, just an average sized living room with a Chromecast and two nest speakers, laptop and phone. All devices no more than 2 metres from each other. Printer is WIFI but switched off all the time. Tried Google help but they are of no help whatsoever. Tried a myriad of different settings on everything. A change often gets it going again for a while but then it always eventually drops out again. 

Might just get rid of the devices and get some Amazon ones! 

As I said, I don't blame TalkTalk at all, everything else works great.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 14

Have you used a WiFi analyser though to inspect the state of the Wi-Fi, which is what my help does for you? As you have used another router this does tend to rule out router issues & as I say the later firmware addressed a very specific router instability where it keeps rebooting. There are no other fixes in that version.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

I have split the bands as my wireless printer uses 2.4ghz....everything else is on 5ghz. I tried Google products on both bands in the past, and every recommended channel, currently channel 36.

They work fine for a few days then I go to cast one day and there's nothing there. I've also tried setting wifi to 20mhz as advised by Google, no difference. I've updated and reset everything probably 100 odd times....tried static IP, Google's DNS in router and on PC....no difference. 

I tried an older Netgear router too, was similarly bad on that, but not the same disconnection pattern. I am not blaming TalkTalk for the problem, was just curious to try a new firmware on a 'can't hurt' basis. It's most likely these horrible Google products!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 14

They connect wirelessly then, do you know to which WiFi band (2.4 or 5GHz)? If 2.4Ghz particularly, this sounds like WiFi interference, with which I can help a lot. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Ah OK! I was assuming it would contain a bundle of various fixes. No worries then.

The problem I have is with Chromecast and Nest Mini speakers. They disappear off the network intermittently. I've tried every combination of channels and settings but the problem persists. I think it may just be the Google devices though as they appear to be notoriously unreliable. 

The router upgrade was something that I just thought might be worth a try and couldn't hurt to have the latest version anyway. By the sounds of it, it's not worth it.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

The only update (V1.06) addresses one very specific issue only, where the whole router becomes unstable. Some DG8041W routers suffer from this & others don't (mine never did). This does not therefore sound like it is causing your problem. How does Google Nest connect to the router?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hello Keith,

Yes that is correct. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

I take it that you have the Huawei DG8041W router?

Keith

0 Likes