cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Frequent slow broadband speed

Chris_J
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hi,

Over the last several weeks I've been getting frequent slow broadband speeds (only download, upload is always pretty good at 11.5mbps)

It coincides with me upgrading my package to Fibre65 towards the end of March, prior to this it was never a problem, I don't know if that's a coincidence or there might be a connection?

I've tried all the usual fixes, disconnecting devices from the wifi, restarting the router, switching off for 30mins, doing a factory reset, and although it does tend to come back at around 40mbps it will gradually drop down again to 2/3/4mbps.

I've also tried a wired laptop to the router, and had the same slowness.

When I've tried the line test on the TalkTalk website, it says an issue is suspected, and goes into another test, but that one always comes back as ok and I need to check my devices.

So it feels like there might be an issue somewhere?

Thanks, Chris.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, where did you read this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Just read that it's a wider issue in my area, so still plan to return the old router 👍

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi, new router has been behaving well over the last couple of weeks, and I was planning on returning the old one at the weekend, but today since lunchtime I've had a solid orange light again, so not sure what has happened there?

Thanks,

Chris 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20
0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi, new router is now connecting 👍

Will keep an eye on it over next few days and report back.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Yes please, if you could give it another try that would be great. 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Morning, I left the router plugged in over Saturday night till about midday on Sunday, but still solid orange light. Since then I've gone back to the first one.

Do you think it's worth me trying again with the new router today?

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

Hi Chris,

How are you getting on, is the replacement router still not connecting?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi, router received this afternoon, thanks for the speedy delivery.

But I've connected up this evening and I'm seeing a flashing orange and white light for several minutes and then solid orange - I tried a factory reset but didn't make a difference.

Thanks,

Chris. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Thanks Chris, I've ordered the replacement router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

Message 11 of 20

Hi Chris, have just done that now.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi Chris,

Could you just add the account holders name to the private notes section of your community profile and we'll arrange to send a router

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

I don't unfortunately, but happy to be sent an alterative for testing, and will return one as appropriate.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi,

Ok, do you have an alternative router that you could test with please? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Morning,

I've found it doesn't always increase immediately, but after it's been rebooted and left for up to 30mins-ish, it does tend to be back up to speed for a time, until it eventually drops back again.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does the throughput speed always immediately increase after the router has been rebooted?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 17 of 20

Interesting, as I had a similar issue with a DG8041W a while back, after a router restart I'd get my normal download speed (37 ish), but within a day or so it would drop to 4 or 5. At the time I didn't know it, but I had a subtle fault on my phone line back then, so I do wonder if the DG8041W might be a bit sensitive to some sort of line faults that might then cause the speed to drop.

The support team here will be able to help more tomorrow, they will also be able to do more checks on your line to see if they can identify any potential fault.

Message 18 of 20

Hi, looks like it is a DG8041W.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi @Chris_J,

What model of router do you have ?

The support team here will be able to take a look at this, they will hopefully be able to respond tomorrow.

0 Likes