cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Full fibre upgrade query

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I'm a long-term TalkTalk customer, and was recently offered a full fibre upgrade. I'm currently on Fibre 35, which I've been told will remain the same, as it's only the physical connection that's changing.

I'm currently expecting a 'package' from TalkTalk, which I assume will contain a new router. Why do TalkTalk think I need another router when I already have one, for a service that isn't changing?

I understand that the upgrade requires the installation of an external and internal 'box' to accommodate the fibre cable, and the internal one will need to be connected to my router with an Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, my router is located on the opposite side of the room from the optimum location for inbound wiring. My phone cable runs across the room under the carpet, but I don't fancy trying that with a much thicker Ethernet cable, so...

I'm already using homeplug powerline adapters to create a wired network, so can I also use one for the box-to-router connection? TalkTalk have told me that it 'should' be possible, but I'd prefer a more definite confirmation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9
0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Okay, thanks. I was beginning to suspect that I might have to bite the bullet sooner or later with a long, flat-section Ethernet cable, which is why I had meanwhile shortlisted one.

Cheers for looking into this. 👍

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi Kincavel,

OK, I've checked this with one of our network engineers and he's said that using the home plugs like this isn't recommended. Using a longer Ethernet cable is an option but you could also discuss the location of the ONT with the engineer to see if there's a more suitable location

Chris

Message 4 of 9

I'm just checking to see if this will work OK, I'll let you know when I have any more information

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 9

Thanks Chris

I forgot to mention that, if I were to move the router across the room, then router and ONT together would completely take up the currently spare twin electric socket on that side. Leaving the router where it is leaves one socket free while the ONT and (pass-through) homeplug would use the other.

The package TalkTalk sent me turned out to be, not a new router, but an Ethernet cable.

A full Ethernet connection remains an option if I should hit problems in future and I have already shortlisted some suitable flat-section cable, but I'll go with the homeplug solution for now, on the subject of which...

At the risk of over-thinking this to the point of unnecessary confusion, I assume that, as my router already has a homeplug connection to my network, then I need only use a SINGLE homeplug (I've freed one up by removing it from a little-used device that doesn't really need to be networked) to accommodate the ONT rather than have some kind of paired configuration requiring an additional homeplug at the router. Is that correct?

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Sorry, I was thinking that you are upgrading to Future Fibre65. The engineer should be able to advise what's the best option and the best location for the ONT but using the homeplugs should work fine if there is no other option

Chris

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi Chris

Thanks for this. The TalkTalk email advising me of the upgrade specifically states that my existing contract won't change, so I assumed I'd be staying on Fibre 35.

At present, my router, with all its attendant cabling, is hidden away out of sight in my computer desk next to my PC tower, which is directly connected to the router. I had thought of moving the router to the other side of the room for direct connection to the ONT, and using a homeplug (or, still, an Ethernet cable under the carpet) with the PC, but the router would then be in full view... which my other half simply won't tolerate! It would almost certainly have to stand on the sill of a south-facing window, too, and might therefore suffer from the heat of the sun.

I hadn't thought of using a flat-section Ethernet cable, but I don't think my other half would tolerate the additional disruption of installing one either! No computer desk to uproot or carpets to pull up with a homeplug! 🙂

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say your service isn't changing, as it appears to be changing from Fibre 35 (FTTC) to Fibre 65 (FTTP). 

The home plug should work fine but are you unable to move the router to the other side of the room so that it's near the box on the wall (ONT)? You can get flatish Ethernet cables two which may work better under a carpet 

Chris

0 Likes