cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Intermittent line fault

awt411
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

On several occasions during the past week, after noticing that my router light has started flashing, I find that we have no internet and no telephone service. If I then ring the number from my mobile, or get someone else to ring my number, the service comes back, usually with a lot of background crackling noises, but it eventually settles. I can only assume there is an intermittent fault either on the line or at the exchange. Could this be investigated asap please as my wife and I are now 81 years of age and vulnerable, we need constant access to a telephone. Thank you.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi awt411

Yes, I have replied to your Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

awt411
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 13

HI Debbbie 

Can you confirm you have received back the required information. (System went off half-way through) !  

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi Tony

You need to click on your Community name/avatar at the top right, Private Messages are there (in a blue box)

0 Likes

awt411
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 4 of 13

Hi Debbie, Thanks - I have no idea how to access a Private Message ! could you enlightnen me please!

Tony

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit for you.

Debbie

0 Likes

awt411
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 13

Hi Debbie,

Yes please, the fault is still persisting, though intermittent. When it occurs, very bad crackling on the line and no iptv. 

Thanks, Tony

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi Tony

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi Tony

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property?

I will need to confirm some details with you first.

Thanks

0 Likes

awt411
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 9 of 13

Hi Debbie, thanks for your reply, sorry to take so long replying but have been out all day.

The fault on the line is intermittent but getting worse, the line starts crackling then the internet drops out, no calls can be made or received and of course the internet goes down. The phone box has recently been replaced by one of your engineers, it was fine for a while after that, but has recently started being troublesome again. The overhead line to the house has been in use for at least 50 years, so maybe it's that - I just don't know. I've been with TT long enough (14 years) to know how to check all the various components etc, and can assure you that this is definitely a fault outside the premises. As I said in my post, we are now of an age when we rely very much on the telephone, so would appreciate it if something could be done.

Thanks, Tony

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 13

Hi awt411

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test but no faults have been detected.

Just to confirm, when this fault occurs have you tried connecting just the phone at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Thanks, I appreciate your response. Problem is I can only run a connection test when the fault is not on!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi @awt411,

The support team here will be back tomorrow and will be able to look at this for you.

In the meantime, if you wanted to run a test of the phone line yourself, you could go to the Service Centre and ‘run a connection test’, if this is able to detect a fault it may be able to arrange an engineer for you automatically.