cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Mac not connecting reliably to wifi

Perplexed1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Hi.

In the last few days, my Mac is failing to reliably connect to the wifi, and if connected to remain connected, or to function adequately ( presumably due to poor connection speeds).

Other devices don't seem to be affected.

I did a Talk Talk connection check and a problem was detected and an engineer is due to come tomorrow. 

However, it seems that whatever that is will not explain the deterioration in the Mac performance.

Also, the Mac will not play BBC I Player as of recently, whereas it will do ITV and Netflix .

Any ideas about what is going on ? 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm glad to hear that the speeds have improved.

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 12

@Perplexed1 as there was an issue with your internal wiring be prepared for a charge for the engineer visit in a future bill.

Disconnecting an unused extension will only increase the sync speed and will not affect WiFi in any way.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi. The engineer came this afternoon and found that the telephone cabling had a junction sending some of the signal into a telephone extension which was no longer in use. He disconnected that which has resulted in a higher speed and hopefully all round better internet signal. I will keep an eye on it.

Yesterday, I upgraded to the latest OS on the Mac and that seemed to resolve the problem with BBC I-player.

Thanks for suggestions and support.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and please let us know how you get on today.

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 12

OK, well let's see what the support team have to say and of course the engineer when they visit tomorrow. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi.

I have previously split the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, about a year ago when I had some previous problems. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 12

OK. My experience of Macs is that they don't like a common SSID for the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands and they definitely don't like channel bonding on the 2.4GHz channels, so a setting of 20Mhz only is preferable. Although I guess your Mac is 5GHz capable. If you haven't already split the SSIDs, do try that and then "forget" the 2.4GHz band when connecting.. Although I still scratch my head at why this has seemingly happened all of a sudden.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi. The router is Talktalk's Sagecom. I'ld need an ethernet to Mac connector to upgrade via ethernet.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

It would be better if you could connect via ethernet for the update. Which make/model of router do you have? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Hi. It's on  Monterey 12.6.4 , so I could upgrade to Ventura 13.3. I'm a bit concerned about trying this while the wifi connection is unreliable but maybe it is worth a try?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Odd that only your Mac is affected and that this has only just started to happen. Is your macOS all up to date?

0 Likes